What's for supper?

Share recipes for main dishes plus hearty recipes such as soups, stews, chili, and more.

Moderator: Chris_W

Libby

What's for supper?

Post by Libby »

Very soon now, we'll want to be outside planting and playing in the garden all day! Cooking comes last on the priority list but that question never goes away. Thank goodness DH grills out much of the time! Even so, I have to come up with my share of menus and I'm always looking for fast and easy. I'd love to hear what meals work for you!

Here's one for the oven before hot weather sets in, and if you use a foil baking pan all you'll dirty up is a measuring cup and tablespoon. I've put it together standing in my grubbiest garden clothes when the only clean thing about me was my hands.

Easy Beef Brisket:

1 (4 to 5lb. flat cut brisket)
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
2 T. worcestershire sauce
1 cup red wine

Place brisket in 13x9 foil baking pan and sprinkle onion soup over the top. Pour worcestershire sauce and red wine into the pan. Cover and seal tightly with foil. Bake @ 325 for 5 to 6 hours. Comes out very tender and tastes great with any number of quick side dishes.
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Sounds good!

My favorites for easy meals are the crock pot or the pressure cooker. The crock pot is easy, start it in the morning and then don't do anything until you take it out and eat it.

The pressure cooker is great when you want a nice meal and have no time. I can do a great pot roast or pork roast in less than an hour.

Here are a couple of my standards --

Chicken in the Crock Pot

Put about a cup of water in the crock pot. Add an envelope of italian dressing mix. Put in frozen chicken breasts. Cook on low for up to 8 hours, or 4 hours on high. The chicken has a nice flavor and is very tender. I usually dump in an entire 3 lb bag of frozen chicken breasts and then use the extras for chicken salad, shred for tacos, put it on a cesaer salad, etc.

Fast and Delicious Pea Soup --

In the pressure cooker saute some diced onions and carrots in oil. Salt and pepper. Add about 6 cups of water and a bag of dried split peas. Cover and bring to pressure for about 12 minutes. Makes a very thick, hearty pea soup. I usually a few pieces of ham, canadian bacon, or real bacon bits when sauting the onions.

Enjoy!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

I have my crock pot going right now - easy meal on a soon to be chilly stormy evening!

1 fresh pork shoulder
dry rub seasoning
bbq sauce
rolls

Cover shoulder with dry rub. Place in crockpot. Turn on low for 5 - 6 hours. Remove from crock pot, drain, pull meat off bones removing fat as you go. Mix with bbq sauce.

Can be served immediately with rolls or put back in the crock pot on low with the bbq sauce to keep warm until ready to serve. This is excellent with deli bought cole slaw, a bag of chips and a cold beer.

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Here's one that is fast and easy but also full of flavor.

Ingredients:

1 1b Kielbasa (Polish sausage)
2 or 3 small zucchini and/or summer squash (sliced)
some julienne sliced baby carrots (about 1/2 cup or so)
1 medium sized onion, sliced into bite sized pieces
1 red pepper (or green, but I prefer the sweet red peppers), sliced like the onion into pieces
1 jar or can of your favorite spaghetti sauce (about 24 to 28 oz)
1 lb prepared spaghetti noodles

Remove the skin from the Kielbasa, slice into pieces and brown in a deep skillet with some garlic, salt and pepper (to taste). I also like to dice up some mild pepper rings and fry the Kielbasa with that for some great added flavor.

Add the zuccini, carrots, peppers and onions and continue to saute until cooked. Sometimes I will also add a little cauliflower if I have it.

Pour the spaghetti sauce over the top, add italian seasoning if you want, then heat through.

Serve over spaghetti noodles or any other pasta or rice - basically whatever you have handy. Top with parmesan cheese.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

Enjoy :)

Chris
Last edited by Chris_W on Mar 16, 2007 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Chris, that sounds good. I usually buy the turkey keilbasa (you know, less fat, less calories) and I'm a big fan of zucchini, so I'll really enjoy this!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hope you like it Jane. It is my own recipe :)
Libby

Post by Libby »

Alexa, that's basically one of my favorites, it always hits the spot doesn't it?!

Don't know why I've never thought to use Italian seasoning for chicken crock pot, Jane. Or for that matter, why I haven't been doing the whole 3 lb. bag of breasts either! Pressure cooker, I don't own - didn't they used to explode a lot? :eek:

Chris, that sounds different and something I'll try. Especially like the idea of serving it over spaghetti for a nice change - love rice but I've gotten into a rut using it.
New Topic Post Reply