Halibut Puttanesca - super easy and delish! Now with photo!

Share recipes for main dishes plus hearty recipes such as soups, stews, chili, and more.

Moderator: Chris_W

caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Halibut Puttanesca - super easy and delish! Now with photo!

Post by caliloo »

This is so easy to make and is absolutely delish! I served it with Garlic Risotto, but it would be very nice over Angel Hair or another simple pasta.
Alexa

Halibut Puttanesca
Copyright, 2006, Robin Miller, All rights reserved
Prep Time:
5 min
Inactive Prep Time:
0 min
Cook Time:
10 min
Level:
Easy
Serves:
4 servings

Ingredients
• 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce, left over from Spaghetti and Meatballs or storebought (I used canned diced tomatoes)
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/2 cup stuffed green olives, chopped
• 3 tablespoons drained capers
• 1/2 cup red wine
• 2 teaspoons anchovy paste
• 4 (5-ounce) halibut fillets
• Salt and ground black pepper
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
Directions
Add tomato sauce to a saucepan. Add garlic, olives, capers, wine and anchovy paste and bring mixture to a simmer for 5 minutes over medium heat. Meanwhile, season halibut on both sides with salt and black pepper. Add halibut fillets to sauce, cover and simmer 3 to 5 minutes, until fish is fork tender.
Last edited by caliloo on May 10, 2009 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
caliloo

Re: Halibut Puttanesca - super easy and delish!

Post by caliloo »

I uploaded the pic from last night.....

Alexa
- Henry D. Thoreau
govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Re: Halibut Puttanesca - super easy and delish! Now with photo!

Post by govgirl75 »

Mouth watering picture.
Could you suggest another type of fish for this dish?
Glo
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Oh, that looks delicious!!! I like many of Robin Millers dishes and will give this one a try. I'm always looking for fish options. Great photo!

The recipe looks super-simple, just dump ingredients in a saucepan, heat, add fish, cook a few minutes then EAT!! :D Easy, but still looks like a fancy sophisticated dish.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
caliloo

Post by caliloo »

It really is fab - you NEED to try it! And any fish you like would be great - Salmon, tilapia, flounder (cook thin fillets for the shorter time), etc would be awesome with this sauce.

Enjoy!

Alexa
- Henry D. Thoreau
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Oooh that does look tasty!! I'll keep this in mind for the near future. We are always looking for new fish dishes too since my DD doesn't eat meat. Thanks for sharing this one, Alexa. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

I made this tonight for supper with some Tilapia I had in the freezer. It is super easy and the sauce is super tasty! I was surprised at how quickly the fish cooked in the sauce. Served it with shell pasta on the side, which went nicely with the sauce.

Thanks Alexa!
JaneG
Kas

Post by Kas »

Guys, you should limit the amount of Tilapia that you eat. It actually raises your ldl levels. Not a good fish to consume if you are trying to eat healthier. I read an article that said you were better off heartwise to eat a lean steak! Eat salmon or other cold water fish instead. I have to watch this stuff because my total cholesterol has been as high as 254! :eek: :eek: Just my two cents on the subject of fish. Not to mention that it is pond raised and treated with antibiotics. Ok. Off my soap box now! Sorry :blush:

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
caliloo

Post by caliloo »

Kas - you make a good point. And add to the information you listed that a LOT of the tilapia available in this country comes from China, which is pretty scary in itself. I don't eat it but I do know it is popular with a lot of people.

Other fish that woudl be good with this recipe are

Haddock
Cod
Pollack

But I don't know how readily they are available across the country. Halibut is my fav, but it is a once in a while treat because of the cost - I paid $24.00/lb :eek:
- Henry D. Thoreau
govgirl75

Post by govgirl75 »

Chicken breast cutlet?
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Thanks Kas and Alexa. I wasn't aware of the issues with Tilapia until last night when I fixed this. My husband actually took the tilapia fillets out of his dish and just ate the pasta and sauce. He asked me not to fix tilapia any more because most of it came from China and it's basically a cheap, mass-produced junk fish. I'm not sure why he knew this and I didn't?! :roll: But anyway, we won't be having tilapia here any more and thanks for confirming his story. (And he liked the sauce recipe with his pasta, even without the fish in it!)

And govgirl, it would be delicious with chicken, but I would cook the chicken separately and then serve the sauce over it. It might take a long time to cook it in the sauce, unless you used a large skillet, I guess.
JaneG
Kas

Post by Kas »

You're welcome! And I am going to have to try the recipe, too. It looks fabulous! Only thing is, only three of the six of us would eat it no matter what kind of meat you use! They don't know what they are missing. More for us!

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
New Topic Post Reply