memorial day BBQ

Share recipes for main dishes plus hearty recipes such as soups, stews, chili, and more.

Moderator: Chris_W

gardengirl13
USDA Zone: 5-6

memorial day BBQ

Post by gardengirl13 »

What's everyone doing for their BBQs?

We're doing:
pulled pork sandwiches (on the grill for 4 hrs then in the oven for couple- then reheated the day of the BBQ as it makes the flavors meld better)
grilled corn (I posted the recipe in the veggies side dish section)
baked beans
green salad from the garden
deviled eggs (my landlord is an egg farmer so we get them very fresh!)
Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted

To see my photos please visit http://www.pbase.com/gardengirl13
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: memorial day BBQ

Post by Chris_W »

Boy that sounds good! We will be open here that day, so no real plans for a BBQ or anything, but maybe some chicken will make its way to the grill. And your grilled corn recipe really sounds tasty too. I think we'll try that later in the summer when we can get fresh Michigan corn. Will have to remember :)
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Re: memorial day BBQ

Post by caliloo »

That does sound good! I love grilled corn and will have to check out your recipe.

My neighborhood is having a block party on Sunday with fireworks that night, and it is a "bring an appy, salad or dessert" and we all kick ina few bucks for the menfolk to grill burgers and dogs. The appys I am bringing are:

EMPANADAS McCormicks spices web site
The perfect finger food for your tapas tasting, these warm, crisp turnovers are filled with a spicy mixture of turkey, almonds, olives, and raisins.

Makes 24 (1 empanada) servings.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes

2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
1/2 pound ground turkey
1 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection Garlic Powder
1 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection Paprika
1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection Cumin, Ground
1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection Oregano Leaves, Mediterranean
1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection Thyme Leaves
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 tablespoons slivered almonds
2 tablespoons chopped pitted green olives
2 tablespoons raisins
2 packages (15 ounces each) refrigerated pie crusts (4 crusts)

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add turkey; cook and stir until no longer pink. Stir in garlic powder, paprika, cumin, oregano, thyme and tomato sauce. Reduce heat to low; simmer 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in almonds, olives and raisins.
2. Prepare crusts as directed on package. On lightly floured surface, roll each crust into 12-inch circle. Using 4-inch round cutter, cut each into 6 circles for a total of 24 circles. Spoon 1 tablespoon of filling onto half of each circle. Moisten edge of each with water. Fold in half; press edge with a fork to seal. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Pierce top of each with fork to vent.
3. Bake 25 minutes or until light golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature

Fresh Mex Corn Wontons
Serves:
36 wontons

Ingredients
• 3 ears corn, husked
• 1 small lime
• 1 1/2 cups sour cream
• 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
• 2 teaspoons hot sauce
• Kosher salt
• 36 square wonton wrappers
• 2 plum tomatoes, diced (about 3/4 cup)
• 1 medium avocado, diced (about 3/4 cup)
• 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
• Vegetable oil, for frying
Directions
Place the corn in a steamer basket set over a saucepan of simmering water. Cover and steam 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, grate the lime zest into a small bowl and squeeze in 1 tablespoon lime juice. Add the sour cream, cilantro, hot sauce and 1/4 teaspoon salt and mix well; set the dip aside.
Remove the corn from the steamer basket and let cool slightly, then cut the kernels off the cobs. Combine with 1/2 teaspoon salt in a bowl.
Line a large baking sheet with paper towels, then arrange the wonton wrappers on top in a single layer. Place 1 teaspoon corn, 1/2 teaspoon tomato, 1/2 teaspoon avocado and 1/4 teaspoon red onion in the center of each wrapper.
Heat about 1 1/2 inches of vegetable oil in a large pot until a deep-fry thermometer registers 375 degrees (or place a wooden skewer in the oil to test the temperature; bubbles should form around it).
Moisten the edges of each wonton wrapper with water, then fold in half diagonally to enclose the filling and form a triangle; press gently to seal. Working in batches, lower the wontons into the hot oil with tongs and fry about 1 minute. Flip and fry another 30 seconds, or until light golden. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Serve with the cilantro-lime dip.
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
New Topic Post Reply