Anyone have a receipe for flavored pecans?

Post recipes for cakes, cookies, pies, breads, beverages, and more. Also post comments, questions, and misc. here.

Moderator: Chris_W

Becky in TN

Anyone have a receipe for flavored pecans?

Post by Becky in TN »

Someone had posted a quick receipe for sugary or flavored pecans. They said it was fast and easy. I thought they would make good quick hostess gifts for the holidays.
janet

Post by janet »

Hi Becky. I don't know if this is what you saw, but this one is really simple and really good. ( And I frequently use them for hostess gifts this time of year. :wink: ) I use a jelly roll pan instead of a roaster and bake them spread out in a single layer. They are always a big hit! :D

Sugared Pecans

1/3 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 pound pecan halves

In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in sugar and spices and mix well. Pour over pecans in a large roasting pan and mix well to coat. Bake at 275º about 30 minutes, stirring several times. Cool. Store in an airtight container.
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Hi Becky

Here are a few more... hope one of them sounds good to you. :)

Candied Pecans
INGREDIENTS:
2 1/2 cups pecan halves
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
PREPARATION:

Put pecans and oil in a flat baking pan; stir until pecans are coated. Roast in 300° oven 20 to 25 minutes, stirring frequently. Cool.

Combine sugar, cinnamon, salt, and water in a saucepan; cook, stirring, over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Boil to 236° of a candy thermometer, or to soft ball stage.* Remove from heat; blend in vanilla. Add pecans and stir until mixture is creamy. Turn out onto waxed paper and use a fork to separate pecans.

*To Test for Soft Ball Stage
A small amount of syrup dropped into chilled water forms a ball, but is soft enough to flatten when picked up with fingers (234° to 240°).
Spicy Bourbon Pecans
1/2 cup good bourbon
1 lb pecan halves
1 T. corn oil
1 T. worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon angostura bitters
1/2 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 350.
1) in small saucepan, simmer bouron over medium heat until reduced by 1/4. Blanch pecans in boiling water for 1 minute, then drain.

2) In large bowl, combine bourbon, oil, worcestershire, bitters, sugar. Add hot pecans and toss well. Let stand for 10 minutes.

3) spread pecans in single layer on rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 30-40 minutes, turning every 10 minutes, or until they are crisp and liquid has evaporated.

4) Transfer to large clean bowl and toss with spices (as follows), about 1-1/2 teaspoon spices, 1/2 t. salt, 1/4 t. pepper.

Spices---Emeril's "Essence"
2-1/2 T. paprika
2 T. salt
1 T. garlic powder
1 T. black pepper
1 T. onion powder
1 T. cayenne pepper
1 T. dried leaf oregano
1 T. dried thyme.

Store in airtight container.

Hints: the recipe does not seem to work with Splenda. And make sure the pecans are crisp... better slightly overdone than underdone.
Orange Candied Pecans
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
2 tablespoons white corn syrup
1 pinch cream of tartar
Juice and grated rind of 1 orange
2 cups pecans
Mix all ingredients, except pecans, and cook to soft ball stage. Beat, then add pecans. Stir until pecans are well coated. Spread out on wax paper and separate.
Becky in TN

Post by Becky in TN »

Thank you both! I may try them all. I have an aunt in Ala who sends me more pecans then I can use so I freeze them and use them all year. But I would rather sugar the fresh ones and give them as hostess gifts. Thank you again.
Becky in TN
Gardendollee

Post by Gardendollee »

Oh I have a good recipe for tasty nuts too!

A friend of mine from work brought in a crock pot filled 3/4 of the way with mixed nut- all kinds- use anything you want. Then add a 1/2 stick to 1 whole stick of butter and one package of chili mix. It was very good! You leave it in the crock pot on warm and stir occasionally!

I have been looking for a sweet nut recipe can't wait to try one of these.
Gardendollee
Dolly * My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply