One ingredient soft caramel

Post recipes for cakes, cookies, pies, breads, beverages, and more. Also post comments, questions, and misc. here.

Moderator: Chris_W

Soummer
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by Soummer »

I'm making Turtles for my sis's birthday, and needed a soft caramel filling... found this on the 'net last night. Never heard of doing this before!

So, right now I am cooking my can :lol: and waiting for 4 hours to pass! I'll let you know how it turns out :D

1 cn Sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)

Remove label from can. Place UNOPENED can in the bottom of a VERY DEEP pot, such as a deep dutch oven. Cover with water so that the water is 3 to 4-inches above the can. Bring the water to a boil and boil steadily for four (4) hours.

YOU MUST MAKE SURE THAT THE CAN IS ALWAYS TOTALLY COVERED WITH WATER. NEVER LET THE WATER LEVEL GET DOWN TO THE TOP OF THE CAN, BECAUSE THIS COULD CAUSE THE CAN TO EXPLODE.

Don't worry, I've been doing this for years and years. At Easter time I boil 2 to 3 cans at once. After the four (4) hours is up, remove the can with tongs and place on a wire rack to cool. Be assured, the can will not explode. Refrigerate.

When can is cold, open and you will have soft caramel; even the color is caramel. The only bad thing about boiling this one can is that you will be sorry you didn't boil two or three.
Soummer, formerly Janet D.
My Page

Soummer

Post by Soummer »

Ok, four hours later, and no explosions :o :lol:

Now to let it cool...
My Page

Soummer

Post by Soummer »

Wow! Amazing! It really IS caramel! Yummmmmmmy 8-)

About the consistancy of peanut butter, it would be good for spreading or filling, maybe as a frosting for sheet cake or browinies, or as a fruit dip.

I finished the turtles, and have lots of caramel left, so am making caramel eggs for Easter and caramel bon bons to take to work whenever (always a good place to dispose of excess candy!)
My Page

Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

That's really cool Janet! :cool: I have never heard of doing that before. Thanks for the great tip. :D
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Wow, sounds good Janet!! I don't really know what the heck I'd do with the carmel, though...:lol: Don't do neat candies really......Hmmmm, I could just eat it out of the can...... :lol:

Thanks for sharing that though!! :D
Soummer

Post by Soummer »

Lucy, here's a simple candy you can do, with the caramel or peanutbutter:

Candy Spoon Lollipops

Chocolate Chips
Peanutbutter or soft caramel
plastic spoons
wax paper
sprinkles (optional)

Melt chocolate chips in microwave or doubleboiler. Check and stir often while heating.

Dip a spoon into filling of choice, covering the "bowl" of the spoon. Scoop some filling so you have a nice spoonfull in the "bowl".

Dip the filled spoon into the melted chocolate, being sure to cover all the filling. It looks real pretty to dip up the handle.
Place spoons on paper to cool. May put in refer or freezer to speed setting.

For a little fancier look, add some colored sprinkles to the spoons before the chocolate sets.

Serve as is, or wrap in plastic wrap for storage, maybe tie a ribbon around a few for a lollipop bouquet.
My Page

Soummer

Post by Soummer »

Oh yeah, BTW, it is DARN GOOD right out of the can! LOL!
My Page

Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

Thanks for posting this Janet. Some sliced chunks of apples dipped in the caramel would go good right about now.
Cheryl
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Wow, that sounds so durn good right now!!! :lol:

Thanks Janet!!! :D
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

A friend told me to do this, I was to afraid :lol:
So I guess it works huh? I'm still pictureing that ALL OVER THE WALLS after it explodes LOLOL!
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Soummer

Post by Soummer »

Annie, I know! I put the can in a stock/spaghetti pot, filled it 3/4 full of water, put on the lid and let 'er rip! I never let it get even close to the can, but I probably added more water than I really needed. I think I maintained more of a 5-6 inch cover than just 3-4 :roll:

Me thinks me is gonna have a tummy ache....yummmmm...
My Page

LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I have to try this!!!!!!!!!!!
janet

Post by janet »

Glad to hear it worked out well...and that you didn't spend the day plastering your kitchen ceiling with soft caramel! :lol:
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I'm only just now reading this and I am amazed!!! I'm going to have to try that. I love caramel!!!! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Soummer

Post by Soummer »

Joan, it is to DIE for!

Not much good for pouring over stuff, just not the right consistancy, but it would be WILD spread in the middle of a warm cake or as a "frosting" for cookies! I used it to fill chocolates (made turtles, yum).

Darn good right out of the can, too :D
My Page

Snow

Post by Snow »

No way I could make that. I know I'd eat the whole thing right out of the can :oops: :wink:
~*Snow*~
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Hmmmmmmmmmm............just found this! Has anyone tried it over ice cream? Maybe with hot fudge and pecans?
:wink: It's the Turtles delight as I'm thinking! mmmmmmmm.... Have to get some of that!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
John

Caramel PIE

Post by John »

This can be dangerous, so I cannot recommend doing it.

HOWEVER, if you do...

Pour the cooled caramel from the can into a baked graham-cracker pie-crust. It will set-up nicely in the refrigerator overnight. Cover with sliced fresh strawberries (which slight tartness cuts the sugariness) and then top with real whipped cream.

ALSO, while it is VITAL to keep the can COVERED with boiling water, I would not put a lid on that pot.
Snow

Post by Snow »

That would indeed be dangerous for me, because I would want to eat the whole pie.
~*Snow*~
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

OOOH John! I like your idea! I've yet to try it, but I will soon. But I know how much I love caramel and I am trying to watch what I eat (except for that ice cream I seem to crave every night after dinner :lol: ).
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
New Topic Post Reply