Lemon Angel Custard Dessert

Post recipes for cakes, cookies, pies, breads, beverages, and more. Also post comments, questions, and misc. here.

Moderator: Chris_W

janet

Lemon Angel Custard Dessert

Post by janet »

My newspaper just put out a call for recipes for Spring Dishes to publish in a future issue. I may send this one in, but thought I'd share it with you first. It's my mother's recipe and a family favorite. Very light and easy, yet looks fancy. I frequently garnish it with real flowers (pansies, trilium, violets all work well...wil have to try hosta sometime soon!).

Make or buy an angel food cake. Make a custard of 6 egg yolks, ¾ cup of sugar, ¾ cup of lemon juice, and 1½ tsp grated lemon peel. Cook in the top of a double boiler, stirring constantly until the mixture coats a metal spoon. Remove from heat, add 1 tsp unflavored gelatin that has been softened in ¼ cup of cold water. Beat 6 egg whites with ¾ cup sugar until stiff and fold in to custard mixture. Tear angel cake into small pieces. Place in oiled angel cake pan or metal bowl, alternating layers with custard, ending with a cake layer. Cover top with saran wrap and freeze until firm. Unmold and frost with whipped cream. Needs no defrosting. Can be prepared ahead of time and left frozen, unfrosted in the mold, until needed. Refrigerate leftovers.
Last edited by janet on Feb 05, 2006 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Wow! That sounds awesome!

I think I will put this on my Easter menu for desesrt. I *love* lemon!

Thanks for sharing!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
New Topic Post Reply