Recipe needed urgently...

Post recipes for cakes, cookies, pies, breads, beverages, and more. Also post comments, questions, and misc. here.

Moderator: Chris_W

viktoria

Recipe needed urgently...

Post by viktoria »

...for zucchini bread. I cannot find the one I have used for years. It used oil instead of shortening. I do not have shortening in the house (never use it).

Thanks,

Viktoria, trying to outrun the zucchini...
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Here's one that my mother uses that came from an older 4H project to raise money. All the kids parents entered recipes to create it. Hope it works for you. Let me know, as a neighbor has a ton of them, and I was thinking of trying this one :D

Zucchini Bread

Preheat oven to 350 deg.

Mix together:
3 eggs
1 C. brown sugar
1 C. white sugar
1 C. oil

Add:
2 C. grated zucchini (do not need to peel)

After mixing add:
3 C. flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. soda
1 1/2 C. nuts
1 tsp. cinnamon

Mix well. Bake for 50-60 minutes.

Good Luck! :D
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

Thanks, Jane,

That sounds like a lot of sugar, but I'll try it this way. Then I'll try it with less sugar.

I generally do not use cinnamon in zucchini bread although it would be a good combo with the brown sugar. When using white sugar only, I use nutmeg, allspice or coriander, and like all equally well.

Viktoria
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Well, let me know how it goes. If either this one or yours works well, I'll get some from the neighbor to use. I'm always afraid to ask for some, b/c then they do NOT stop giving it! :lol:
VThosta/daylilylover

Post by VThosta/daylilylover »

My recipe is similar except:
2 cup sugar (I use less too and it's plenty sweet)
2 tsp vanilla
I use half and half white and wheat flour
1 tsp soda
1/2 tsp baking pdr
1/2 cup nuts (I add more)

I wonder how the soda/baking pdr amounts could be so different? I'll try your recipe next time to see what happens!
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

OK, I made two. I had no brown sugar in the house so instead I used 1/2 cup of Karo dark syrup in the first one. I also added four tablespoons of cocoa (powder) to the flour. Instead of just nuts I used 3/4 cups of sliced almonds and 3/4 cups of currants.

The batter looked like it would overflow my loaf pans so I filled 3 cupcake cups, too. They took longer to bake than I thought they would (at least 20 minutes). Just ate one and it was pretty good; someone else might like more chocolate in it, or might add choco chips, which I detest and will not use. If you like almond flavor, you could use almond extract instead of the vanilla.

Now I'll go sample the second one. I used all white sugar, and 2 tsp. nutmeg instead of cinnamon, and no almonds (DD is coming for dinner and she cannot have nuts), so I used 1 1/2 cups of currants. I have to say I prefer this one.

Go to it, ladies! One more hint: in my oven, at least, 50 minutes will not do it. The first loaf has been in the oven for more than an hour. It needs another five minutes.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I haven't personally made zucchini bread, but I love it! Have you ever seen the website www.allrecipes.com? I use it alot and have found dozens of terrific recipes. I would be surprised if you didn't find the recipe you are looking for on that website...
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Wait.....Do you still need one? I have my mom's that takes 3 cups shredded zucchini.....BRB...It's excellent!
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Ooops....I just read that you need one with oil....this uses Crisco.

2/3 Cup soft melted Shortening
2-2 2/3 cup sugar
Mix

Add 4 eggs mixed
Add 2/3 cup water
Mix
Add 3 cups shredded zucchini (about 2)
2 teaspoons vanilla

Blend in seperate bowl...
3 1/2 cup flour
2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves

Add wet to dry mix till wet.....Bake 350 degrees till done when toothpick inserted comes out clean......about one hour-hour and 10 min.

Enjoy!!

edited because Jane didn't tell me I spelled wrong or that I had *baking salt instead of baking soda*...:lol: I had to blame someone Jane, so it might as well be you...:lol: Hugs... :wink:
Last edited by LucyGoose on Sep 07, 2007 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Gosh, I guess I have to ask start asking for some now! I'll try a few different ones and we can vote on the tastiest! :D

Thanks for trying it and responding the results Viktoria! :D
New Topic Post Reply