No Knead Bread...this is absolutely incredible!

Post recipes for cakes, cookies, pies, breads, beverages, and more. Also post comments, questions, and misc. here.

Moderator: Chris_W

hostaaddict

No Knead Bread...this is absolutely incredible!

Post by hostaaddict »

I have been making this bread for the last few weeks. It is so simple to make. Only takes about 2 mins to stir it up and cover it till next day. Then just dump it out and fold it over and let sit till ready to throw it into an iron kettle in oven. You won't believe how wonderful these loaves are. Even prettier than the picture. I wound up buying a covered 4 qt cast iron camping kettle from Scheels for $14.95. Very worthwhile. The feet on it are a little annoying though so I set the whole kettle on big cookie sheet so won't get feet caught on the wire grates. This is one incredible bread if you like a hearty bread with a magnificent heavy crust. Cooking it at high heat in the iron pot makes the differences. Have made about 8 or 9 loaves and still on first pack of yeast so it is very inexpensive. I use little cornmeal when shape it and do it on a white flour sack type towel I got at WalMart and then flip it right into the heated pot. Here is the link with step by step photos..
http://www.womansday.com/food/11572/no-knead-bread.html
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Okay Jackie, now I have to try this. I bought a nice dutch oven and then I started hearing about famous "no-knead" bread that is made in a dutch oven. I was a bit of a skeptic when I saw the online information about it, but if you've tried it with such good results, I'll definitely give it a try. We love breads, but I don't make it much.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
hostaaddict

Post by hostaaddict »

Jane you MUST try this! If you like a nice crusty hearty bread you will love it! Everyone that's tried it can't believe how nice it comes out. Just remember to heat that pot for a half hour before dumping in the bread. Let me know what u think!! Make sure to use cast iron and not aluminum. I would say total hands on time with this bread would be maybe 4 or 5 minutes. The rest of the time it is raising or baking. A friend of mine uses parchment baking paper and then slips the bread into the pan right on the paper. It isn't necessary. I just dump it in and it looks like a blob, but bakes up wonderfully.
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

I will definitely give this a try - it sounds too easy and tasty not to! And I will post results... probably not until next weekend, but I will definitely report back.

Thanks for posting the instructions!!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
New Topic Post Reply