Making your own jam.

Post recipes for cakes, cookies, pies, breads, beverages, and more. Also post comments, questions, and misc. here.

Moderator: Chris_W

Epona

Making your own jam.

Post by Epona »

I made some jam recently from Strawberries, peaches, and Sure Jell. Have any of you used Sure Jell before? What were your experiences like?
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Making your own jam.

Post by Chris_W »

My Mom made jams and jellies when I was a kid and that's what she used. Most of the time they turned out really good, but a couple times I remember some really thin batches, however I think it was because she loves to experiment instead of actually following any recipes :lol:

How did yours turn out?
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Like Chris, my mom made a lot of jams and jellies because we had grapevines, currant bushes, blueberry bushes, apricot tree, blackberries, etc at home. So we always had home made jelly, and I remember the Sure-Jell boxes. As I remember, it was all very good! :D

The only thing I've made and used sure-jell in was jalepeno pepperjelly. I made it a couple times when I had lots of peppers. Usually turned out great, but I remember one batch that never 'set'. It stayed runny.

Did you have trouble or did yours turn out good??
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

I used to make a ton of jams and jellies using Sure-Jel and it always worked great. I don't like my jams super-sweet, so I like the low-sugar "Sure-Jel Light" version, but they haven't sold that in stores around here for the past few years! :(

Hence, when I make jam/jelly now, I do it the old-fashioned way: with a thermometer. :) (except for Hot Pepper Jelly -- which I use Certo liquid pectin for setting).
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Post by govgirl75 »

I have also used Sure-Jel for years particularly for jelly. May have had one or two "bad" batches but probably my fault. Besides, if it turns out too runny, it makes good syrup for pancakes,
regular cake or over ice cream. Sort of a lemonade out of lemon thing. :-)
Gloria
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

govgirl75 wrote:...if it turns out too runny, it makes good syrup for pancakes,
regular cake or over ice cream. Sort of a lemonade out of lemon thing. :-)
Gloria
Yup, that's exactly what we did when I was a kid :lol:
New Topic Post Reply