Sour Cream Apple Squares

Post recipes for cakes, cookies, pies, breads, beverages, and more. Also post comments, questions, and misc. here.

Moderator: Chris_W

caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Sour Cream Apple Squares

Post by caliloo »

A friend sent me this recipe last night and I was fortunate to have all the ingredients on hand. They ae WONDERFUL! The cake is spicy and cinnamon-y and the apples make it so delish and moist. I omitted the nuts because I usually don't care for walnuts in cakes, and it was just perfect for dessert and coffee this morning.

Sour Cream Apple Squares
INGREDIENTS
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup chopped nuts
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream (or plain yogurt which I used)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg, beaten
2 cups chopped, peeled apples
Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream

DIRECTIONS
In a mixing bowl, combine flour, brown sugar and butter; blend at low speed until crumbly. Stir in nuts. Press about 2-3/4 cups into the bottom of an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan. To the remaining crumb mixture, add cinnamon, baking soda, salt, sour cream, vanilla and egg. Beat until thoroughly combined. Stir in apples. Spoon evenly over bottom layer.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Garnish with whipped cream or ice cream if desired.

(SOURCE: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sour-Cream ... l.aspx?a=b)
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
newtohosta-no more

Re: Sour Cream Apple Squares

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Ooooh...yum! That does sound good. You just can't go wrong with cinnamon and apples. I'll keep this in mind next time we buy some apples. I think we also need to pick up the sour cream ( or yogurt).
Thanks for sharing this recipe, Alexa! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
New Topic Post Reply