Chocolate Mousse

Post recipes for cakes, cookies, pies, breads, beverages, and more. Also post comments, questions, and misc. here.

Moderator: Chris_W

party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Chocolate Mousse

Post by party_music50 »

I thought I didn't like Chocolate Mousse... but I decided to make it for dessert tomorrow (I've invited a bunch of friends over for dinner). I spent the last two nights painting chocolate into muffin cups to use as the serving vessels. Sadly the chocolate "bloomed" overnight, then the cups were so fragile that most broke when I unwrapped them this morning. I was going to make a different dessert, but since I had the ingredients for the mousse, I went ahead.

I just finished making them... photo taken without a flash, so could be better, but OMG is this stuff good! It's supposed to chill for at least 2 hours -- to make it BETTER?! I'll report back after we eat it tomorrow: :beer:

This is the recipe I used:

Chocolate Mousse
Ingredients:

4 squares (1 ounce each) semisweet chocolate, cut into pieces
3 eggs, separated
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/3 to 1/2 cup sugar
1 cup chilled whipping cream

Directions:

Heat chocolate in heavy 2-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally, until melted; remove from heat. Beat egg yolks slightly; stir yolks and vanilla into chocolate. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in 2 1/2 quart bowl until foamy. Beat in sugar, 1 tbsp at a time; continue beating until stiff and glossy. Stir about 1/4 of the meringue into chocolate mixture. Fold into remaining meringue.

Beat whipping cream in chilled 1 1/2-quart bowl until stiff. Fold into chocolate meringue. Spoon into dessert dishes. Refrigerate at least 2 hrs. but no longer than 48 hours.

Top each serving with Sweetened Whipped Cream and grated chocolate if desired. Refrigerate any remaining desserts immediately.
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Re: Chocolate Mousse

Post by caliloo »

Wow - those look amazing! Your guests are going to love them, and if you have any leftovers I can give you my address to send them :lol:
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
party_music50

Post by party_music50 »

lol! Actually, you'll notice that the recipe doesn't list serving amounts! I found it on a post where someone gave their recipes for "Dinner for two" -- I was trying to figure out the approx. volume of the whipped eggwhites and whipped cream after being "flattened" by the chocolate. It sounded like too much for two servings! I almost doubled the recipe and I'm glad I didn't. I have 4 extra servings chilling, and we shared another to try it before it was chilled. I'd say the recipe makes 8 servings (min.) -- this stuff is RICH!

And THANKS for saying it looks good! I'd definitely do it all again, but next time I'll make those chocolate cups *thicker*! :)
~~~ Audrey ~~~
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Those look REAL good!! And I can eat it!! :beer:
party_music50

Post by party_music50 »

Thanks, lucygoose. :)

Everyone thought they were great, but I'm afraid I stand by my original statement: I don't like mousse! I loved it when it was freshly made, but the texture changes slightly by chilling it for hours-- and every recipe calls for chilling for several hours, minimum. If I make it again, it will be to eat *fresh*. lol! :lol:

It's definitely a texture thing with me... I don't care for chiffon, mousse, flan... I'll eat them to be polite, but would never seek them out. :beer:
~~~ Audrey ~~~
New Topic Post Reply