Bacon Cashew Caramel Corn

Post recipes for cakes, cookies, pies, breads, beverages, and more. Also post comments, questions, and misc. here.

Moderator: Chris_W

LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

This is to die for.....I actually got it from Alex! Just watch it in the oven as the second time I made it, it did not go the 20 min before I noticed it turning dark, like burnt dark...I took it out fast...it was fine.....but ya just got to watch........so just let it heat in the oven to get it mixed good.......then keep a close eye on it..... Enjoy!! Jay and I love it!!
Oh, I know it takes like 8 slices of bacon, and I bet if you don't have cashews any nut pecan/walnuts will work, I used cashewsand pecans both, the second time I made it.......I also did not use a tea bag....just the whipping cream!

Ingredients
• 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 6 ounces bacon, chopped
• 1/2 cup unsalted raw cashews (one 2.5-ounce package)
• 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt or coarse sea salt
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
• 1 oolong tea bag
• Nonstick vegetable oil spray
• 1 1/2 cups sugar
• 1/4 cup water
• 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
Preparation
• Preheat oven to 300°F. Heat popcorn and oil in covered heavy large pot over medium-high heat until kernels begin to pop. Using oven mitts, hold lid on pot and shake pot until popping stops. Pour popcorn into very large bowl. Cook bacon in heavy large skillet over medium heat until almost crisp. Using slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain; cool. Add bacon and cashews to bowl with popcorn. Sprinkle with coarse salt and cayenne; toss to coat.
• Bring cream and tea bag just to boil over medium heat. Remove from heat; let steep 15 minutes, occasionally pressing on tea bag with back of spoon to release flavor. Discard tea bag.
• Line rimmed baking sheet with foil; coat with nonstick spray. Coat 2 wooden spoons or heat-resistant spatulas with nonstick spray; set aside. Stir sugar, 1/4 cup water, and corn syrup in large saucepan over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high; boil without stirring until syrup turns deep amber, occasionally swirling pan and brushing down sides with wet pastry brush, about 13 minutes. Remove from heat and immediately add cream (mixture will bubble up). Stir until blended. Immediately drizzle caramel over popcorn mixture; toss with sprayed spoons until evenly coated. Transfer to sheet.
• Place caramel corn in oven and bake until caramel is shiny and coats popcorn, tossing mixture occasionally, about 20 minutes. Cool completely on sheet on rack, tossing occasionally to break up large clumps. DO AHEAD Can be made 2 days ahead. Store airtight in refrigerator.
LucyGoose

Re: Bacon Cashew Caramel Corn

Post by LucyGoose »

Another thing.....make sure when you pop the corn and pour in a bow that you get out the un-popped kernels...I did not do that the first time......it was a you know what....LOL....second time I did!
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Yay! Thanks for posting this. Can't wait to try it. XOXOXO!
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

You will love it! I just finished off mine last night, and I hopefully will make more SOON......like TONIGHT!! :lol: XOXOXO
New Topic Post Reply