Toffee recipe.....FOUND!! LOL

Post recipes for cakes, cookies, pies, breads, beverages, and more. Also post comments, questions, and misc. here.

Moderator: Chris_W

LucyGoose

Toffee recipe.....FOUND!! LOL

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi you guys!!

I can not find my recipe...It disappeared..... :evil: ....I do know it had butter, sugar, karo sryup.....you used a candy thermometer, then remove from stove, add vanilla, pour out on a greased 9X13 pan...then you would sprinkle a bag of semi-chocolate on top, wait a couple minutes and then spread.....then add your walnuts on the top....

Does anyone have that one....I have googled but .......

Thank-You and Merry Christmas everyone!! XOXO
Last edited by LucyGoose on Dec 26, 2013 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Toffee recipe??

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Lucygoose,

This one doesn't have karo syrup in it, but sounds similar: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/butt ... nut-toffee

You posted this one in 2005? viewtopic.php?f=34&t=36930

Good luck!

Chris
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Morning Chris!!

Yeah, I found that old post of mine, but that was not it.... :( .....I have googled and see them like mine in a way...but it really kills me that I can't find MINE! LOL....that's what I get for being so dis-organized....I will just have to pick one, and make it!! :lol: Thanks!!

Merry Christmas to you and Brian!! :frosty: :snow:
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

The chemist in me says that the corn (Karo) syrup is a bit of insurance in keeping the toffee from being rock-hard when you're done. I went to make our toffee this year and was out of Karo/King syrup, so substituted with agave nectar and didn't see any difference. For whatever reason, recipes that add Karo also add some water (or rum!) which is going to cook away.

Another trick is to add a bit (maybe 1/2 tsp) of baking soda to the toffee at the very end when stirring in the nuts; in larger doses, adding baking soda is what makes brickle instead of toffee, creating some small air bubbles so the product is not so hard.

This recipe looks not too different from the toffee part of what I do, and seems to be what you're looking for: http://www.landolakes.com/recipe/2708/b ... ter-toffee. And of course to be trendy you can toss a bit of sea salt on the chocolate at the end!

The recipe I use pours on melted chocolate and spreads it before adding (more) nuts; then the whole thing gets flipped over and coated with chocolate and nuts on the other side. Yum. Using two sheets of Silpat and two baking sheets takes the scary part of the work away. (I put one sheet of Silpat on a baking sheet, pour the hot toffee on that and spread as best as you can, then cover that with another Silpat and baking sheet to smooth it out evenly. Take off the upper sheet/Silpat to spread the first layer of chocolate and nuts. Let that cool, then put the Silpat/baking sheet back on to flip the whole thing over.) We got this recipe from a friend who uses almonds; to make ours different we usually use pistachios (and add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the melted chocolate).

David
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi David!!~

Thanks!! I didn't make any yet, but just might use this one.....what kills me is what did I do with MINE?? :lol:

Thanks and have a Merry Christmas!!!
LucyGoose

Re: Toffee recipe.....FOUND!! LOL

Post by LucyGoose »

Yes, you read that right.....FOUND!! :lol: :lol:

Guess where??

On my damn table....in a pile of magazines that I KNEW I went through it already..... :lol:

Jay found it....not me.....he had asked me too if I looked through there and I was like YES, in my crabby voice...LOL

Oh, and it does not have karo syrup....I just knew it did.... :evil: ..... :lol:

Here is the recipe..

1 pound of butter
1 cup of sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup walnuts
1 bag of semi sweet chocolate chips

Heat butter, sugars over medium heat stirring constantly until mixture come to 300 degrees on your candy thermometer. Remove from heat and add vanilla mix..... spread in a greased 9X19 pan......sprinkle the chocolate over evenly.... wait a couple minutes then spread....top with your nuts... Let cool.....I throw it in the fridge.....break into pieces....I use a knife and just stab it and it breaks....

Man oh man...... :lol: :lol:
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

:lol: That's always the way it is :P
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:lol: :lol:
New Topic Post Reply