Help to ID a "succulent" purchased from Wal-Mart..

Discuss cacti & succulents, indoors or out, plus other plants for arid environments.

Moderator: Chris_W

BrownBullhead

Help to ID a "succulent" purchased from Wal-Mart..

Post by BrownBullhead »

Does anyone know the scientific name for this "succulent / cactus" ? I bought this thing as a dying runt of a plant at Wal-Mart about 18 months ago... and it grew up... then almost died again... now is back with a vengeance! You can see where a "petal" fell off to the soil, but took root and started a new plant. Any idea what species this is?

Click the thumbnails to see larger image.

Image Image Image Image
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

First, Welcome to Hallson's!

I think it is a Jade plant.... :D
BrownBullhead

Post by BrownBullhead »

I just did a Google Images search on "Jade Plant"...

Do you think my specific plant is a Crassula arborescens? There seems to be some variants in petal shapes but is this a likely candidate?
BrownBullhead

Post by BrownBullhead »

Image Image Image Image Image
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

I don't know squat about the succulents or cacti, but what I can find in my books shows that looking like a Adromischus maculata. The green leaves with the purple marks tell me it's another possability.
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

The first picture

Post by oldcoot »

looks just like a piece of a Jade plant OC just replanted. For the Colors, Have no earthly idea John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
BrownBullhead

Post by BrownBullhead »

Identifying these plants variants is more difficult than identifying African Cichlids in my aquarium hobby! Anyway, I like the plant and I guess that is all that matters. :)

To those who said it looks like a jade "cutting", realize that those leaves/petals are quite large... about 3-4 times the size of one on a typical Jade houseplant.

No matter... thanks for the input!
BrownBullhead

Post by BrownBullhead »

I did some more homework, and I do indeed believe (still) it is Crassula arborescens!

Check out some of these other images I found online...

BrownBullhead

Post by BrownBullhead »

I was grocery shopping at Superstore this past July and happened upon another one, so now I have two specimens, one growing a LARGE pot with many "Jade Plant" and newer acquisition solo.
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Re: Help to ID a "succulent" purchased from Wal-Mart..

Post by caliloo »

I think you may be correct. I was just looking at the same plants at my Lowe's and that name was on one of them. I didn't get one of those, but did grab a couple of others icluding a tri-colored jade. Good luck with it!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
New Topic Post Reply