Lewisia

Discuss cacti & succulents, indoors or out, plus other plants for arid environments.

Moderator: Chris_W

Garden_of_Mu
USDA Zone: 7

Lewisia

Post by Garden_of_Mu »

Third time is the charm (don't ask). Wasn't sure where to post these, but decided that since I treat them like a semp they'd be okay in here. Lost many until I found the key to what they like - well drained soil and lots of rock under their crown. Great blooms this year and I'm looking foward to collecting more.
Attachments
lewisia2.jpg
lewisia2.jpg (37.45 KiB) Viewed 8889 times
lewisia1.jpg
lewisia1.jpg (48.91 KiB) Viewed 8889 times
~ Mike

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t
matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Theodore Geisel, aka Dr.
Seuss
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Very good, Mike! I just love them against that new seating area you built! :cool: :cool:
Garden_of_Mu

Post by Garden_of_Mu »

Isn't that a good spot? I just love them with the brick and terra cotta. Can't wait until those chimney flues fill in and overflow. I gotta find more of those... they are great for the semps and small clumping sedums.
Last edited by Garden_of_Mu on May 08, 2006 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Mike

Seuss
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Thanks for the tips Mike. We just started some Lewisia and have been reading up on them. I read that they like moisture early up until they bloom and then like it almost perfectly dry. I'll have to find a little raised spot like yours to help it drain in the winter, or possibly put a clump at the edge of a raised bed.

Looks great :D
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Mike My girlfriend just picked up two of these due to my recommendation to treat them like a cactus. You will love them!
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Mike, I have never seen these or heard of them.,.....It sure is different and very pretty!!
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I had a dentist appointment today, and yep i stopped at one of my favorite family nurserys.....Guess what they had?? Lewisia "Little Plum" Looks nothing like yours Mike that I could tell....Do you know the names of yours? They seem to be different. Of course I bought one though! I will un-pot it tomorrow as the pot was really wet from rain.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Here is a picture of what mine looks like......I really love it!! I haven't taken it out of what potting soil it came in yet.......
Attachments
s 265.jpg
s 264.jpg
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Those are awesome!

And to think I passed on two yesteday (on the clearance rack! :o ) because I didn;t know anything about them!

I am just kicking myself now :(

I also love the way you have them in the terra cotta cimney liners... they look awesome!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
hostaguy

Post by hostaguy »

Beautiful Mike!

I have quite a few this year, never had them before. I hope I don't kill em. I know one will live for sure, it's dry as a bone.
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

I have a bunch of lewisias, and love them all. The trick is very very sharp drainage. Mike - I have most of mine in the little rock garden by my front door, if you remember that area.

The most common ones found at nurseries are Lewisia cotyledon Sunset Strain, which has a large color range. Little Plum did well for me for two years, and then died out. The one that I will buy the instant I find it is Lewisia tweedyi, it has huge flowers compared to the other. Another fun one is L. columbiana var. rupicola, a smaller plant with smaller pink flowers, but on very long flower stems, native to the northwest.

All are wonderful, just use lots of sand and crushed gravel to give them great drainage. Mine get water along with my other perennials all summer long, as well as our normal NW winter rains, and as long as they can drain really well they do great. They send out little offsets that you can break off and plant, just like a hen&chick.

Andi
Attachments
Lewisia cotyledon 070104.jpg
Lewisia cotyledon 070104.jpg (46.46 KiB) Viewed 8474 times
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
hostaguy

Post by hostaguy »

Stunning, Andi! :D

I'm going to replant the ones I'm worried about as you folks advised, before the rainy season starts.

Just for you Andi, Tweedyi (not mine, just pretty picture I found with Wenatchee in the background, I believe this is OHME GARDENs) If you've not been to Ohme gardens in Wenatchee, you must go sometime, it's a beautiful Alpine Garden.

Garden_of_Mu

Post by Garden_of_Mu »

Stunning photos everyone. Thanks for all the tips too. I'll be watching for offsets on these and for new ones at nurseries too. :)
~ Mike

Seuss
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

Hey Mike and Justin - if you ever see Lewisia tweedyi for sale at a nursery, you have my permission to grab one (or two) for me and I'll pay ya back :) Pretty please? :)

Andi
Andi
hostaguy

Post by hostaguy »

Keeping my eye out for you Andi! Nothing like being a personal shopper. :D

Looks like I'll have to buy more than just 2, I'll need one too!
Gruntfuttock

Post by Gruntfuttock »

This is one I've had for about 3 or 4 years.

This year I bought 6 more to fill a narrow bed by the patio. This was taken just after I planted them in June.

Offshoots seem to grow against the parent tipping each other up at an angle, presumably their way to ensure they don't gather a pool of water in the middle causing rot.

Plant them at an angle if possible.
Zone: This is England we don't do zones. Pick any number between 2 and 11

http://www.zyxwv.co.uk/

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
hostaguy

Post by hostaguy »

Gorgeous shots!

Andi, I'm going to Wells Medina Nursery after work, I'll look for tweedyi

I love living close to WELLS, dangerous, it would be fun to run into Bill or Melinda Gates there sometime. :lol:
hostaguy

Post by hostaguy »

Sorry Andi, no luck finding Tweedyi

I'm still on the look out
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

Hi Justin - Thanks for looking at Wells for me... The last time I was there a month or two ago, I didn't see much that interested me, though I usually get into a lot of trouble there LOL!

How about when my girillas start school in September I come up for a visit and we can go nursery hopping for a day?

Andi
Andi
hostaguy

Post by hostaguy »

Cool Andi, I get into trouble too!

Yes, let's go Nursery Hopping on a Friday in Late Sept, early October. That way we can find some clearance deals
New Topic Post Reply