Agave's Anyone?

Discuss cacti & succulents, indoors or out, plus other plants for arid environments.

Moderator: Chris_W

hostaguy

Agave's Anyone?

Post by hostaguy »

Just picked up Agave Guiengola 50% off, anyone growing Agave's? Think I'll put this in a pot with sharp drainage.

Agave Guiengola
A thick leafed agave with pale blue, almost white coloration. Dark contrasting spines are striking on this short stature plant. Leaves are succulent to six inches wide. High architectural value. Offsets freely for large clumps with time. Requires excellent drainage. Ideal for pots. Evergreen. Full sun, part shade in low desert. Moderate growth to 3 feet tall and 4 feet wide.

Hapygdnr

Post by Hapygdnr »

Oh that silvery blue is so pretty! And from the information you posted it could get to be quite large. It is already impressive. How big is it now? Good that you live in a warmer climate where it can spend more time outside. Do you think you'll keep it in a pot or put it in the ground (if your climate allows)? You'd need a pretty large pot if you wanted to try to grow it to its full potential... Great addition to your collection.

Jeanne
hostaguy

Post by hostaguy »

It's very small now, just in a 5 gallon pot.

I plan on putting it in a lightweight - large pot and protecting it on the coldest nights.

:D Hope it doesn't get too big, I have seen some huge Agaves in California (I get plant lust)
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

I saw some really really big ones in New Mexico. Are those the same plants they make Tequila from? I love the dusty blue color of them.

Ginger
hostaguy

Post by hostaguy »

I'm pretty sure they do make Teh-Kill-Yah out of Agave.
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

I love the colour of it!!

eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I love agaves and the like, too. The only thing I might suggest is when choosing the pot....choose one that has straight sides inside...not sure if I can describe this correctly. Avoid pots with lips on the inside. I have several agave/century plants and the way they multiply is by putting out runners and making "pups" which are just baby plants adjacent to the mother. I had some agaves in pots with lips that rolled inward and the pups got stuck under the lips. Two of the century plants are so vigorous they are going to crack my pots trying to come up if I don't figure out how to get them out.

They are wonderful though, aren't they! :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
gamekeeper

Re: Agave's Anyone?

Post by gamekeeper »

This past spring I purchased a collection of Agave and cactus suitable from zone 5 and they have done well all summer thought they would do well and contrast with my Dwarf Conifer collection.Hope they survive the winter High Country Nursery in N.M. specializes in alot of different plants which makes it interesting.
Peter
New Topic Post Reply