Is portulaca or moss rose a succulent???

Discuss cacti & succulents, indoors or out, plus other plants for arid environments.

Moderator: Chris_W

lazygardner

Is portulaca or moss rose a succulent???

Post by lazygardner »

Is portulaca or moss rose a succulent??? I really love these little flowers.
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
John

Re: Is portulaca or moss rose a succulent???

Post by John »

I'd say yes. I love them also, the colors are so vivid! And they'll thrive in the hottest and driest conditions. They also tend to self-sow here.
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

Thank you, John! They also seem to do quite well in wet conditions. It has been raining like crazy here in Michigan and the portulaca I have planted as well as the ones that are still in their original plug containers are both doing superbly. I am trying them in one of those hanging plastic bag planters and so far so good! :D
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

I agree with John and we grow ours in a hanging basket due to how the baskets dry out so fast!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

Thanks Kharma! So far so good with them in the hanging plastic baggie with holes in it. (S'pose I should post a pic. :hmm: )
kHT

Post by kHT »

I have two of those bags and never thought of putting that in them due to they dry so fast also. Thank you
for the idea!!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

Here's mine. I'm sure yours will be much nicer.
DSCN0030 portulaca in baggie.jpg
kHT

Post by kHT »

Oh I like that!! Mine is an empty bag on the shelf as I hated to do them this year as I couldn't find
something that would do well in them. I'll now have to go get some to try!! Thanks for the idea!!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

:blush: My pleasure. :blush:
kHT

Post by kHT »

Not as pretty but I tried do it one handed, does that count? My bag is different from yours??
I sure like yours better. I'm only doing one, the other will wait to see how this one looks.
Attachments
DSC03024.JPG
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

KHT you still have the other hand don't you? :hmm: Yes your bag is longer and I think the holes may be farther apart. Also I planted mine while it was lying flat on the floor of a porch. The instructions said to leave it lying flat for five days before hanging it, to give the plants a chance to get settled. So mine looks a little flatter than yours. Maybe try lying yours flat for a few days???

Anyway, I hope the other hand was just busy with something else... like keeping a nosey critter from getting into trouble. :lol:
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

I have grown moss rose in a wheelbarrow for the last couple of years, but usually bought some plants and planted them in the wheelbarrow. This year, SURPRISE... I had moss rose coming up all over the entire wheelbarrow :beer: :beer: self seeded :lol: :lol: Love it, saved me lots of money and time :lol:

Ginger
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
kHT

Post by kHT »

Oh no, I laid it flat to plant and then hung it to add more dirt. Almost to another fall off the ladder!! See ladders
aren't my friends!! Even after DS got me a new one that won't give out like the wooden one. I didn't watch where I
put it in the mud! Will plant the next one and leave it lay, this one faired well in the heat yesterday.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

Ginger- I got some free seeds from a neighbor's plants a couple years ago. Now your wheelbarrow plants itself. Gee these are great flowers!! :lol:

KHT- Please be careful with those ladders and let us know how your baggies work out. :D
kHT

Post by kHT »

lazygardner, I'm really liking this stuff for not only the allen pouch but the hanging baskets that we keep.
I did two with the moss rose and one with the ice plant, less watering is good!!

DS has replaced all but one ladder with two sided ones and this weekend he put up the 16 footer so that I
could take all the seedpods off the golden chain tree. I love it and these are much safer, they feel better
with me being on a ladder!! :lol: They cost a bit more but well worth it!! We had 10 MPH winds and the
ladder didn't even move!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
New Topic Post Reply