Hello, a newbie here in need of some help!

Discuss Japanese gardens, bonsai, and other related topics.

Moderators: whis4ey, George Nesfield

scrawni

Hello, a newbie here in need of some help!

Post by scrawni »

Hi all,

Can someone please give me some information on an Acer Griseum tree.

I seem to get conflicting information on how big it will grow. Most people i have spoke to have said it is a small tree and grows about 3-4 metres, others have said it grows much larger, who is right? :-?

I hope it wont grow too big as I have just brought one after a bit of a search. I brought it for its lovely bark and colour.

Thanks Mandy
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

The tree is said by Vertrees to mature at 8 - 12 metres. Yes .. it is classed as a small tree :)
I wouldn't worry too much ... it would take many many years to reach that sort of size, and it would also depend greatly on its situaton etc
My own tree is still very small after some 5 years. But very striking and well worth the cost :)
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
John

Post by John »

I have one growing near the hosta garden, after several years it has grown from four feet to about six feet tall. Lovely bark! Mine was a gift from a member here and has been much appreciated and enjoyed. It seems to be very healthy and vigorous, but still grows slowly, which is perfect for the area.
scrawni

Post by scrawni »

Thanks guys!

8-10 metres is a little different to 3-4. Funny, the label on the tub said 10metres but on the large plastic label it said 16 feet. :-?

Anyhow, I've brought it now so thats that. It is a lovely looking tree and we can't wait to see how it changes through the seasons. How old/big was yours before the bark started peeling?

Mandy
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

You can see here how young my tree is and the peeling bark
Attachments
griseum14.JPG
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
scrawni

Post by scrawni »

Thanks Sam, great photo.

I think that mine has a way to go, it is only about 5 foot tall and still quite gangly.

Oh and I like the website, great stuff on there.

Mandy
New Topic Post Reply