Rock arranging

Discuss Japanese gardens, bonsai, and other related topics.

Moderators: whis4ey, George Nesfield

Herb

Rock arranging

Post by Herb »

There seem to be some differences of opinion about whether copying things from other Japanese gardens is desirable or not.

I can't say that I see much wrong with it. But I happened to notice what (to me) seemed to be quite a similarity between one of the rock arrangements at Ryoan-ji, and a much newer one at the Otani Hotel.

That led me to try cutting and pasting to make an imaginary arrangement along similar lines.

In real life, I guess rocks of this sort must be rather difficult to find?

I should mention that the picture marked "A" is - courtesy of Philip Greenspun - partially based on a photo by Philip Greenspun. See http://philip.greenspun.com.
Attachments
A B and C.JPG
Last edited by Herb on Feb 18, 2006 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Nesfield

Post by George Nesfield »

Hi Herb,
I must say I think that a lot or rock placements are copied to some extent, but then again what can you do you can only place the rocks somewhere, and the placement must be similar to a rock arangment somewhere else.
Here's one for you Herb remember that woodblock you posted that reminded you of my painting of Misty Mountain, click on this link and let me know your comments.
George.
http://koi-z-are-us.20m.com/woodblock.htm
Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything
Herb

Woodblock type painting

Post by Herb »

George, I'm most intrigued. I feel like going through all the woodblock pictures I've stored on my computer & sending you a few more.

Herb
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

I think that a lot or rock placements are copied to some extent
I am totally not experienced with Japanese style of garening, so take my opinion for what it is worth.

I would venture to guess that a lot of garden arrangement are based on what can/may occur in nature and we just try to enhance that on a smaller scale to fit our needs and taste. Bonsai makes me feel that way. To see a beautiful bonsai in a table top sized space that is a scale representation of what that tree may look like in nature is the epitome of success, IMHO. It is then a reasonable conclusion that any rock arrangement is somehow copies from nature or from the designers interpretation of nature.

Again this is just the opinoin of someone who admires Japanese gardening but has no practical experience whatsoever.

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
George Nesfield

Post by George Nesfield »

Hi,
There is a lot in what you say, we are only trying to copy nature,
George.
Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything
Colin

Post by Colin »

Most of the books that I've read on Bonsai or Japanese gardens say that they are basically trying to emulate nature and capture a minature version, a macroenvironment I think they call it. By the way George excellent paintings.
Colin
When confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Daren

arranging

Post by Daren »

There is similarity betwen these arrangements because, firstly the art of Japanese rock placement isn't haphazzard, or even necessarily just what the designer thinks looks good, it's largely based on teachings that outline rules. If two people both have studied this teaching then they will both be following the same guidelines. In this case a very simple arrangement of two rocks, one tall & large, the other smaller & reclining. The large one could be regarded as the buddah stone, the focus of attention, the second his companion, which shouldn't compete for attention in the arrangement, therefore is smaller.
Another way to look at it is that these are two mountains. If you look at nature, grouped mountain peaks are rarely of the same size, there's usually a main peak & some smaller ones nearby. If you reflect this in your rock grouping, it looks natural, which is the aim of Japanese garden design.
New Topic Post Reply