Can you identify these maples?

Discuss Japanese gardens, bonsai, and other related topics.

Moderators: whis4ey, George Nesfield

Karyns4

Can you identify these maples?

Post by Karyns4 »

This is my first year with maples so I have no idea what I have or what to do with them. I've noticed many varieties out there for sale but have yet to come across any that resemble the ones I have.

Here is the purple tree as a whole. It is about 8 feet in height.
Here is a close up of the leaves, which are about 3-5 inches across. They are rather large leaves and were a lighter pinkish purple when first coming out. This tree was NOT red in the fall though - I don't recall exactly what color it was but for sure it was not red.

This is the large tree standing about 12 feet high.
The leaves on this one are very small maybe 1-3 inches and were light green to yellow in the beginning, with hints of dark pink on the edges. This tree was NOT red in the fall either, again I don't recall exactly what color but not red.

All of my maples had delicate dark pink flowers in the early spring - and 2 of the 3 have seed pods. The largest tree is covered in the seed pods. The pods look the same on the purple and green trees - Light green with pink edges.

I appreciate any thoughts here on what variety these trees may be.

[/img]
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

There are many hundreds/thousands of maples out there at the moment and they are being added to by the sale of seedlings (erroneously under the name of the parent) which have different characteristics than the parent had. It is therefore extremely difficult to positively name a particular maple
The autumn colour of any maple is one of the MOST important indications as to variety. Without that information anyone who knows anything about Japanese maples would not even attempt to give a definitive answer to your question
You could have a look at the photographs of maples on my website which might give you some ideas to narrow your search. You could start here, although your indication that the first tree was NOT red in autumn is confusing :)
AP Atropupureum
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
Daren

id

Post by Daren »

I think the red maple may be acer palmatum shindeshojo. I have this tree & it looks very similar to yours. Unlike many maples, it doesn't have autumn colour, but the reverse, it's red show is in spring with the leaves slowly turning green over the summer. I like this because the red lasts a lot longer than the autumn varieties.
New Topic Post Reply