Garden size

Discuss Japanese gardens, bonsai, and other related topics.

Moderators: whis4ey, George Nesfield

Herb

Garden size

Post by Herb »

The older I've got, the more obvious it gets that maintaining a Japanese garden is time-consuming (another expression for 'lots of work').

For this reason alone, I've more and more come to believe that if you want a Japanese garden, then having only a very small back yard is no disadvantage at all, so long as you can enclose it.

The Journal of Japanese Gardening is one of the best sources of helpful advice for anybody who wants a Japanese garden, so today I was especially interested to read, in their July/August issue, what seems to me to be some very useful advice about the actual size of Japanese garden that an ordinary homeowner can manage.

Here's some of what it says - "Unless you are wealthy, smaller is better.....Consider enclosing a modestly-sized area next to your house and leaving the rest of your property as is......Even a very ambitious do-it-yourself homeowner will have trouble properly maintaining a JN garden that is larger than half an acre."
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

......Even a very ambitious do-it-yourself homeowner will have trouble properly maintaining a JN garden that is larger than half an acre."
:lol: :lol: :lol:
You said it :)
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
Tokyo Mike

Post by Tokyo Mike »

My garden is fairly small. But still large enough to allow for plenty of mistakes and plenty of work ! :eek:
George Nesfield

Post by George Nesfield »

Hi Mike,
You know what my saying is "Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything" :roll: so if you have made plenty of mistakes you must have made some really great things :wink:
Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything
New Topic Post Reply