I "rescued" a Japanese Maple!

Discuss Japanese gardens, bonsai, and other related topics.

Moderators: whis4ey, George Nesfield

caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

I "rescued" a Japanese Maple!

Post by caliloo »

I was wandering through Lowe's this morning and as I was perusing the hostas since everything is on sale, the manager came over to me and said to find him when I was done shopping and he would discount everythig even further. Long story short, I asked about the Japanese Maples and he said sure....

I am now the proud owner of a brand spankin new Japanese Maple - about 2.5 feet tall - for only $20. I know it isn't a Bloodgood, I have one and this looks nothing like it. I would guess that it is a common variety though since it is just labeled "Patio Maple" and was available at Lowe's. I would post photos, but DH is on vacation with the camera, so they will have to wait until next weekend.

It has deeply cut very threadlike or lacy leaves that are green and a bit burgundy in color, but the new growth is bright red. Like I said, I will post photos when DH returns... Unfortunately, some of the leaves are pretty scorched right now, but there is quite a bit of new growth too.

Anyway, I am keeping it in dappled shade on the patio until the heatwave is over and then I would liek to find a permanent spot in the garden. What conditions would be best? Dappled shade? Part sun? Do you think it might tolerate a few hours of full mid day sun if the rest of the time it was dappled shade? I think I recall that they do not do well in open windy area in the winter.... would a SE corner of the house where it is protected from the wind, but would get full sun until early afternoon be better?

I have wanted a small JM with these delicate leaves for a long time and I want to do the best for this little baby. Can you help?!?!

Thanks in advance!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

Hi Alexa
It depends on how hot your 'full sun' is
Dappled shade sounds much better, and safer, if you can also do something to protect it from the wind
Visit the UBC Botanical forums to learn lots on Japanese Maples .... maybe you can find somone there who lives in your area and can advise you better
Good luck with your quite marvellous bargain :)
UBC Botanical Forums
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
tsneal

Post by tsneal »

Woohoo!!
caliloo

Post by caliloo »

THanks for the advice, Sam! I really appreciate it.

I can't believe my luck! I clicked on the link you provided (to the UBC) and saw a reference to the Morris Arboretum. Hmmmm. Gotta check that out.

What did I find?!?!?!?! The 2006 Maple Convention seems to be happening here in Philly area at the Morris Arboretum! OH MY! Can I possible talke DH into letting me attending ANOTHER CONVENTION IN PHILLY :eek: :eek: :eek: He's barely recouperated from my going to the Hosta National this past June LOLOLOL!

I can't.... really I can't... I cannot possibly consider another convention with opportunities to spend LOTS of $$$....

can I??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alexa
- Henry D. Thoreau
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

<<<<Sam (being the good guy he is) sends Alexa a photograph of a hundred dollar bill to start her off :)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
caliloo

Post by caliloo »

Thanks again Sam! :lol:

I'm sure DH will definitely approve now! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alexa
- Henry D. Thoreau
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Good buy, Alexa! I don't have the threadleaf one, but I do have a bloodgood here in my zone 5a (very close to z4) garden. It gets morning sun only, and is on the southeast corner of the house so it's protected from the prevailing westerly winds in the winter. It also gets some protection from the other 3 directions. (I live on a hilltop, so the wind hits us from everywhere.) It's 5 years old this year, and doing well. Occasionally I have to prune out a dead branch or two after a hard winter, but nothing serious. Your climate there is probably a little less extreme than mine, but I think I would still go with the sheltered location, and no more than morning sun, or a couple of hours during the day. Good luck with your new plant...and be sure to let us know if you get to that convention.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Alexa, I hadn't been to our new Lowe's yet but armed with a $10 coupon on a $25 purchase and your bargain story, I stopped over there yesterday to check them out.

No Japanese maples, but they had a variety of 8' fruit and ornamental trees for $1 and gallon Astilbes for 50 cents! :D I needed a bag of Portland cement at $8.49 for hypertufu, picked up recupered bags of pine fines and peat moss at half price, a couple trees and Astilbe to meet the $25 minimum . . . .for $16.21, my van was full. So thanks for sharing your story.
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
New Topic Post Reply