Help me love this rock.

Discuss Japanese gardens, bonsai, and other related topics.

Moderators: whis4ey, George Nesfield

Mr. Hanami

Help me love this rock.

Post by Mr. Hanami »

I am happy to say that our new house is almost finished and we are excited to move in soon - I hope. Now it's time for the fun stuff, my first question about the landscape has to do with this horizontal rock.

I have had a hard time liking this huge rock from the time my builder sent the excavators away and told me it will be safer to have this rock on the corner of both streets so that a rogue car doesn’t crash thorough your yard or house. I like the safety reasoning. But I wish I had the chance to choose a few rocks that I love and placed them accordingly. There was one in particular that was special, but the excavation company jackhammered it into a million pieces.:( So to make a long story longer…I am stuck with this Jurassic cow patty.

The exposed part is about 9 feet long x 5 feet wide at the widest point. The one good thing that I actually liked was that it holds a little water in it from the rain like a basin, which I thought was very cool.

I’m starting to pick out my trees at the nursery and I held two 4-foot Japanese Black Pines and one 7-foot Kwanzan Cherry just for that area. Unfortunately I’m under a tight budget and I can’t afford to get expensive specimens for there. I’m trying to save some money for the backyard. My goal is to get traditional in the backyard, which will be fenced in soon. For the continuity of the neighborhood, I want to give this rock a Japanese influence. I was also thinking of planting a couple of azaleas and maybe a mugo pine. BTW, my father-in-law planted that hosta. This is a SE exposure so it gets full sun. I wonder if I should transplant that hosta out back?

Can anyone please help me with the Feng Shui of this rock?
Thanks! :D

This picture was taken from the second floor window on the side of the house. You can see the window in the second picture. There will be a stockade fence from that Norway maple cutting all the way to the side of the house, to the open side door in the second picture.

This was taken from standing on the little dead end street my house faces. Behind the rock will be the fence going from the Norway maple over to the house.

The gravel is for the temporary driveway. I plan on planting grass around the bed with the rock and along the driveway to the fence. I wanted to edge the bed with wooden posts or maybe with rocks from the site. Then I wanted to place crushed marble or 3/8 pea stone on the bed. I can reshape the bed to accommodate the trees. I can make it bean shaped or more U shaped. Whatever is best for the Feng Shui.

Where should I place the trees and should I space the Kwanzan 10 feet away from the JBP? Maybe 2 JBP would be too much for that space? HELP! :hmm:
Dōmo arigatō, Mr. Roboto,
J

Many Things of the past
flood to my mind
as I stand in the garden gazing at a cherry tree.
Matsuo Basho (1644-1694)
Daren

cow pat

Post by Daren »

Count yourself lucky to have this huge rock. I would love to have it in my garden. It looks a bit lonely at the moment, but it's a beautiful starting point for a Japanese garden. I would surround it with a narrow ring of low ground cover to emulate moss. (I assume that moss won't survive full sun as it looks exposed in the pictures.) I would recommend lawn camomile, or maybe corsican mint. The moment it has that green surround it will look like it's been lifted straight out of a Kyoto temple garden. Look at the garden of Ryoanji to see the effect.
Mr. Hanami

Post by Mr. Hanami »

Yeah...Daren...Ryoanji is amazing! I love the moss effect. I just thought FS was going to be a challenge. I'm definitely going to look into lawn chamomile and corsican mint. If I go with mini crushed marble, it will pop. Thanks. :D
J

Many Things of the past
flood to my mind
Matsuo Basho (1644-1694)
George Nesfield

Post by George Nesfield »

Hi Mr Hanimi,
That's a bit formal what's your name, here's just a couple of ideas while messing on my computer.
George.
Attachments
rocktwo.jpg
mr hanamis rock.jpg
Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything
Mr. Hanami

Post by Mr. Hanami »

Hi George,

I’m starting to like this rock already. Thanks for the ideas. Those pictures are great. I wish I could put it in a vertical position. I was thinking of that too.

Would you plant the trees close to it or spaced out in the back round? The two 4-foot JBP that I picked out are slanted and zig-zaggy, I love them. I was thinking of placing them close to the rock, to appear as if they were growing out of a small island in the water. But then I didn’t know where to plant the Kwanzan.

Hanami
J

Many Things of the past
flood to my mind
Matsuo Basho (1644-1694)
Herb

Post by Herb »

I like your rock too. I think you could do all sorts of things in that spot.

Here's one version - I adopted other folk's ideas & included moss and the Mugho Pine that you mentioned..

Herb
Attachments
Moss etc copy.jpg
Mr. Hanami

Post by Mr. Hanami »

Thanks Herb. I love it. What kind of program do you guys use? Is it photo shop?
Hanami
J

Many Things of the past
flood to my mind
Matsuo Basho (1644-1694)
Herb

Post by Herb »

I use Photoshop Elements 2. It's a lot more convenient to use than either later versions of it, or the full Photoshop programs.
George Nesfield

Hi,
I use MGI Photosuite, one day I will be as good at it as Bert,(Herb).
MAYBE!
George.
Mr. Hanami

Post by Mr. Hanami »

I've got to get me a program like that. Those pictures really help.

Does anyone have any experience with Irish Moss (sagina subulata), or any of the Pearlwort family?
Hanami
J

Many Things of the past
flood to my mind
Matsuo Basho (1644-1694)
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

The problem with moss is that the birds love it for nesting ... the mess they make is unbelievable
Mindyourownbusiness is a good substitute ... or see George's suggestions in another thread :)
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
Daren

mossy

Post by Daren »

mindyourownbusiness (solierolii) is a fantastic ground cover, but it blackens in the frost. I replaced mine with corsican mint which looks almost identical. It hasn't seen a winter yet so I don't know how well it reacts to frost.
Pburgh

Post by Pburgh »

I love the addition of several other rocks with that massive one.

Mr. Hanami, your rock is gorgeous! I also love the fact that it holds water at times.
Mr. Hanami

Post by Mr. Hanami »

whis4ey & Daren-
I'm going to check out mindyourownbusiness (solierolii). Corsican mint sounds great too. Thanks for the advice!

Pburgh-
I agree, I have piles of smaller rocks around the sight. I need to pick out some perfect ones that look like babies. I was there today and there was a little water being held in the top. Pretty cool. Thanks for the encouraging words.

Hanami
J

Many Things of the past
flood to my mind
Matsuo Basho (1644-1694)
George Nesfield

Hi,
Check my post on the Gravel for Karesansui post I have posted a photo from the back of my small pond with mind your own buisiness and saxafraga being used as a ground cover.
George.
New Topic Post Reply