Gravel for karensansui?

Discuss Japanese gardens, bonsai, and other related topics.

Moderators: whis4ey, George Nesfield

Daren

Post by Daren »

one more try
Daren

Post by Daren »

oh well, no picture. you'll have to use your imagination.
Daren

try again

Post by Daren »

maybe this time
Attachments
karesansui2.jpg
Herb

Post by Herb »

I agree with George and Daren that a bamboo screen would improve it & I like Daren's moss.

As to the shrubs, I think I'd like to see a shrub that gave more contrast with the bamboo.

I like the way the rocks set in the moss are arranged, but I think they'd be better if they were bigger.

Here's a Photoshop effort in that direction....

Bert
Attachments
karesansui variation.jpg
karesansui variation.jpg (52.65 KiB) Viewed 2400 times
Daren

Post by Daren »

Bigger rocks look much better. It's worth searching around for nice rocks. In Japan they are as important as plants, maybe more so. Throughout history, the size of your rocks are a symbol of your status, even modern Japanese homes reflect this. Japan is a country of contrasts, reastraint is seen as virtuous, but big statement is also prevelant. Nijo castle in Kyoto is a good example of look at my huge rocks. Sort of the gardening equivelant of flash cars nowdays. It's worth searching for that BMW rock.
Herb

Post by Herb »

I think a Misaki style lantern was mentioned. Here's a layout that includes one.
Attachments
October 27.JPG
Henrik

Post by Henrik »

Hi!

Thanks for all your replies. I ahve been VERY busy with other stuff, and now we have winter so....

I will defintly add a moss island in the spring. Perhaps not moss but we have another plant in sweden called Sagina subulata 'Hortensis'. It looks like moss, and will survive the sunny place better than moss that would almost certainly die in the summer sun.

I also agree that you need bigger rocks, but jeezz my back will hurt.

I will add a yotsume gaki fence along the wall, what do you think of that? I dont like the idea to cover it completly, it would probably look strange.

About the lantern, hm not sure. I really want one japanese lantern in the front area of my garden... but perhaps this is not the correct place? There is lots of estetics to consider lol :)

I also think I will add a pinus mugo at the left end of the area, where the house corner is and where the edging stops. It will help to soften up the lines a bit I think. The focal point will still be the big bamboo.... otherwise I was afraid the balance would shift to 50-50, whihc is not good. Now I think the balance is slightly tilted to the "right"... if u know what I mean.

If you recall I made a bamboo fence in the back of my garden... it has been raining and snowing for 2 months now.. The entire fence is covered in green algae... lolz. I doubt it will last more than 2 years. It was a fun experiment though. But next time I will definetly make a wooden fence.

I also consider my plans to add a small japanese style shed in the back. Building restrictions limit it to 15 m2, and Im having great problems to find inspirations. It has to be something I can make myself, yet give the garden a "japanese" feel. Any help/tips/pics is appreciated!!!!!!

Oh I will begin a new job in april, this means I will stop the commuting (100 km every day) and can take the bike to work, really nice indeed. I have been commuting for 5 years now and I think its enough. Now I get more time with my gardening!!!!

kind regards
Henrik
New Topic Post Reply