Bamboo fence

Discuss Japanese gardens, bonsai, and other related topics.

Moderators: whis4ey, George Nesfield

Myro

Bamboo fence

Post by Myro »

Hi to all,
I am just converting my backyard garden in Japanese garden.
There is a lot of to do but I am now planing to make my first bamboo fence.What is best way to prolong lifespan of bamboo.I need some varnish or some oil or vax thing which may help to preserve look of bamboo.Does anibody have some sugestion(I want to keep naturally look).
For maybe one month I will post some pictures of building process.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Myro I have a water feature in my garden that has bamboo. I have not treated it at all, it is fairly hardv wearing. I'm not sure if the Japanese treat bamboo either. It does fade a little but it adds to the look of the feature giving a look of age and not as though its just been put there. If you do wish to treat your bamboo I would suggest some type of clear oil. Maybe one of the other members may have an answer. Its not something I ad really considered.

Regards Colin
When confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
George Nesfield

Post by George Nesfield »

Hi,
As Colin says bamboo looks better when it is aged a bit, and age gives a bit of maturity to the garden, new bamboo looks like new bamboo.
George.
Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

Bamboo that has lost its colour can be re vitalised with a treatment of cold strong tea
Then treat with a clear gloss polyeurathane to protect
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
Myro

Post by Myro »

Hi guys,
You certainly made me think again, what is all about. I have decided to leave my bamboo (fence ) how it is. It will be the part of ''wabi'' I will try to reach. Sam's tip of revitalising bamboo with strong tea sounds good and maybe I will try it.
Thanks
New Topic Post Reply