Journal of Japanese Gardening

Discuss Japanese gardens, bonsai, and other related topics.

Moderators: whis4ey, George Nesfield

Herb

Journal of Japanese Gardening

Post by Herb »

I've often wished that there was a comprehensive index to all the issues of the Journal of Japanese Gardening.

There now is an index - I assume it's new, because I don't recall seeing it before. It's here -

http://www.rothteien.com/backissues/backissuehome.htm

Bert
Henrik

Post by Henrik »

Im currently reviewing my sukiya-mon (gate). As I recall reading somewhere there was an article in JOJG about the proportions of such a gate. Does anyone know which issue it was, and if its worth ordering?

kind regards
henrik
Herb

Post by Herb »

Henrik -

The 'Gate Proportions' article is in the May/June 2001 issue (No.21).

There are two other articles about gates -

'Two vs. 4-Posted Gates' in the May/June 2004 issue (No. 39) and

'Gate Foundations' in the July/Aug 1999 issue (No.10).

Herb
Henrik

Post by Henrik »

Thanks!

Im wondering, how detailed are these articles? I mean, which parts of the gate do they refer to? My main concern with my gate is that the roof is a bit too low...

kind regards
Henrik
Herb

Post by Herb »

Henrik,

The article (in issue 21) is quite meaty. It's 4 pages long and includes illustrations, ratios & even mathematical formulas about gate geometry, angles, & post thickness. It discusses, among other things, head clearance, overall gate height, & roof size & pitch.

If you're concerned about your gate's height, I think you should start with the question - can people wearing hats walk underneath your gate without the hat contacting the roof? If they can, then it's high enough so long as the rest of the gate's components are in suitable proportion.

Herb
New Topic Post Reply