Hinoki False Cypress

Discuss Japanese gardens, bonsai, and other related topics.

Moderators: whis4ey, George Nesfield

tricam

Hinoki False Cypress

Post by tricam »

First post here, but I've been lurking a bit.

I have two 4-foot Hinoki False Cypress planted along the side of my new home. I want to keep the trees within the 4-5 foot range, but I understand that they will grow 5-6 meters. How do I keep the trees rather small without lopping off the top every so often? :eek:
Everything changes, everything is connected; pay attention. -- Buddhism in 7 words
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

How about planting them in a large pot sunk into the ground?
That will stunt their growth
You could then treat them a little like bonsai?
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
George Nesfield

Post by George Nesfield »

Hi,
Just keep pinching the leader out and you can keep them to what ever size you like, but if you let them grow large you will then have to lop off the top.
George.
Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything
tricam

Pinching

Post by tricam »

George,

Thanks. That's the direction that I was heading in. I just needed to confirm that I was doing the right thing. I'm sort of new to this "garden thing".

Thanks again,
eric
Everything changes, everything is connected; pay attention. -- Buddhism in 7 words
Herb

Post by Herb »

George - your advice to keep pinching out the leader is exactly what I needed - & has come at exactly the right time.

We planted a Hinoki False Cypress about 10 years ago when it was around 4ft high.

Now it's reached (at a guess) about 15 feet - (whatever, it's just the height we want) so from now on I'm going to make sure the leader gets no higher than that.

A couple of times (with much trepidation) I've removed a lower branch or two because it was getting so dense.

Incidentally, I continue to be very pleased with the appearance of our Tanyosho pine that I thinned out after reading what you suggested for it.

Herb
George Nesfield

Post by George Nesfield »

Hi Bert,
Nice to hear from you again, I am pleased your pine is coming on allright.
George.
Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything
New Topic Post Reply