Better weather coming

Discuss Japanese gardens, bonsai, and other related topics.

Moderators: whis4ey, George Nesfield

George Nesfield

Better weather coming

Post by George Nesfield »

Hi All,
Better weather on its way and spring is just around the corner and my garden will soon be back to this again.
George
Attachments
zen01.jpg
zen01.jpg (22.27 KiB) Viewed 3473 times
Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything
Herb

Post by Herb »

Nice picture, George. Today's weather here put me in a similar mood -

Bert
Attachments
Picture 006x800.jpg
Colin

weather

Post by Colin »

George that better weather has taken a wrong turn some where, I'm sitting looking out of my office window and its snowing quite heavily. I just hope it doesnt kill off any of my plants that are budding early due to the previous warm weeks. On another note out of curiosity and as part of my garden planning I worked out the square meterage and my garden is a small but humble 85 sq m's. :( I have plans to redesign and at the moment I'm at the stage of deciding which plant to move where to help with the overall effect. Do Acers move easily without to much adverse affect?

Regards Colin
When confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Herb

Post by Herb »

Colin,

Your mentioning that your garden is 85 square metres is especially interesting in light of an Article in the 2007 Jan/Feb issue of the Journal of Japanese Gardening (issue No.55).

The article is headed "Small Space - Big Idea" and it says that in Japan, an area of one car's parking space is considered ample for a homeowner's garden - and adds that for a Western home -

"...a somewhat larger area - say, the size of 3 -5 parking spaces - is adequate. On the other hand, projects much larger than a tennis court should be approached with caution."

From this it sounds like your garden is an ideal size for a Japanese style home garden. The article has a lot of other very useful advice too & if you can get hold of issue No.55 I think you'd find it very helpful. (I wish I'd been able to read the article 10 years ago.)

Herb
Henrik

Post by Henrik »

Lol, since my garden is bigger than a tenniscourt it should definetly be handled with care. We had some nice weather this weekend so I was cleaning away some leaves from the pond... And while I was walking around, I could come up with about 10 different projects to improve my garden... which still is about 80 % western garden.

* make a better & bigger pond

* Add more stone features

* build a tea house

* build a small wooden bridge over da water...

etc etc

And finally all these thoughts made me surrender and move isnide for some hot tea.... I was looking at about 1000 USD of investments and about 10 weeks of spare time (which I hasn't)

I wish I also had a small area which I could devote into making a tsuboniwa... :cool:

take care
Henrik - still on the lookout for nice teahouse designs
George Nesfield

Hi Colin,
I think if you want to move an acer you have to move it at the back end of the year when it is resting and try to do it without disturbing the roots to much, by taking a large root ball.That's why my acers are all in large pots so that I can move them about my garden as and when it suits.
Hi Bert,
Nice photo of you flowering cherry.
Hi Henrik,
Looks like when you do find time you are gong to be very busy.
George.
Henrik

Post by Henrik »

By the way George, is that photo from your garden? It looks stunning! Do you have a wide angle view?

What material are those round stepping stones made of? I have great difficulties finding stepping stones the right shape and size...

kind regards
Henrik
George Nesfield

Hi Henrik,
Yes it is a photo of my Zen garden which I cropped to give me that size I don't have a wideview angle of my garden but here is a view from overhead.
The stepping stones are made from concrete but give the appearance of a tree trunk that has been cut into slices even to the age rings in them and they are all a slightly different shape.
George.
Attachments
overview.jpg
overview.jpg (43.48 KiB) Viewed 3349 times
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

Henrik
George has a magic kingdom to be proud of
Visit his website for mouth watering views (if you haven't already)
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
Henrik

Post by Henrik »

Yeah I have been around here a few years and have checked out his garden... Its really inspiring!

I would love to see a photo of your garden george, when it has rained and its all wet. Usually that gives a real boost in picture quality. When I go on photo safaries the best weather is when it is misty and wet... It really helpts to flesh out the different surfaces of stones and plants.

/Henrik
Colin

Post by Colin »

Hi all and thanks for the comments. I think I,m quite glad that my garden isnt to big as I have a fairly busy lifestyle with not much time. I will certainly see if I can access that issue of the journal sounds very interesting. Its quite sunny out today :cool: after an horrific monday. i think i will go out and take some pictures of the garden as it is to post and then i will keep updating as the project evolves. Any comments and advice are always welcome :)
Thanks All
Colin
When confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Mr. Hanami

Post by Mr. Hanami »

George Nesfield wrote:Hi Henrik,
Yes it is a photo of my Zen garden which I cropped to give me that size I don't have a wideview angle of my garden but here is a view from overhead.
The stepping stones are made from concrete but give the appearance of a tree trunk that has been cut into slices even to the age rings in them and they are all a slightly different shape.
George.
Hi George,
What a brilliant view!!! Did you take that from your roof? Your Zen garden is magical, it makes me want to go to England just to tour your work of art. My brother-in-law is originally from Leicestershire. Is that near you? Always wanted to bring the wife and kids. Maybe someday it will be possible to meet the Zen Master in person.
J
Dōmo arigatō, Mr. Roboto,
J

Many Things of the past
flood to my mind
as I stand in the garden gazing at a cherry tree.
Matsuo Basho (1644-1694)
George Nesfield

Hi Sam,
Thanks for your kind words,
Henrik,
The next time it rains and the garden is all wet I will take a photo of it I must admit it does give another perspective on it when it is wet, and it does look really nice.
Mr Hanimi,
Nice to see you back again, yes the photo was taken from the roof of our bungalow ,Leicestershire is a little way down south from Yorkshire where I live.
George.
New Topic Post Reply