Just bought some pines

Discuss Japanese gardens, bonsai, and other related topics.

Moderators: whis4ey, George Nesfield

brianinNC

Just bought some pines

Post by brianinNC »

Well a couple of days ago i just purchased two black pines and a thunderhead. Has anyone bonsai a thunderhead pine or anyone have a site or info for reference.
Also i found a feed store a couple hours away and was wondering what size granite griti should use. I found 1/8", 1/4" and 3/8". Which would be a good size to use? Thx
Henrik

Post by Henrik »

Hi I know that George is skilled in the art of pruning pines. I have tried once, but I didnt have enough knowledge on how to "start" pruning, because at first most pines look like christmas trees. And I have not yet found a description or tutorial that is comprehensive enough to get me started. In my garden books there are descriptions on how to tie and how to cut branshes, but it is somewhat idealistic I think. And its hard to apply that to reality. But Im also very eager to learn how to prune my pines (I have about 5 of them in my garden, all looking like christmas trees...

/Henrik
George Nesfield

Post by George Nesfield »

Hi,
I have never heard of a Thunderhead Pine, but it looks quite good for bonsai.is the grit to mix in your pot for drainage if so I would recommend either the 1/8" or the 1/4"
George.
Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything
brianinNC

Post by brianinNC »

It's called a pinus thunbergii. Pretty low and compact and shouldn't get very big at all no more than 2-3 ft tall. They grow long candles. The grit is for a pot. Also i'm tring to find some rock but all the rock place don't have any all i can find is river rock or small granite but it's not to dull. I"ve only found some pea gravel.
George Nesfield

Hi
Pinus thunbergii or Japanese black pine are ideal pines for bonsai the long candles can be finger pinched out if you do not want that specific branch to grow that they are on and pea gravel will be ok for your pot, that is what I use.
George.
brianinNC

Post by brianinNC »

I also know this has been talked about but in a rock garden what is the best type of gravel to use. The only type i can find around here is the small marble rocks which is pretty bright. Thx for the info george.
brianinNC

Post by brianinNC »

Here is pretty much the closest rock i can find to put in the garden. It's mixed with some river rock but the small white rocks are what i 'm talking about.

George Nesfield

Hi,
The best advice that I can give is for the size 8mm to 10mm as from my experience this is the best size for rakeing, and for the colour a grey/white looks best as white ie marble chippings are far to bright when in the sunlight.BUT if that is all that is available you may have to go with it.
George
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

..........except that with the sort of rubbish that comes down with the rain nowadays the white marble chips will discolour and become perfect in about a year :)
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
Tokyo Mike

Post by Tokyo Mike »

Look forward to watching your garden grow !
brianinNC

Post by brianinNC »

Right now the weather has slowed down progress a little as most of you know. Found a place in Mt. Airy , NC. They have a rock quarry up there. Picked up some turkey git. It's called gran-i-grit. Good size, color and texture. I was suppose to start my fence this weekend but i'll have to start the weekend after. I'll take some pics a soon as i can once i get the pallet of rock.

Brian
Colin

Post by Colin »

Hi anyone who is trying to source suitable gravel try this site www.bradstone.com and request a catalogue they have gravel of all shapes sizes and colours. Excellent weather at the moment :cool: and I'm making great headway in the garden, pics to follow soon Promise!! :roll:

Regards Colin
When confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
George Nesfield

Hi Colin,
Bradstones is a good place but a bit expensive as I say I bought my limestone chippings from a place that deals with the quarry which makes it a lot cheaper.but if you don't want tons of the stuff just bags then Bradstones is ideal.
George.
New Topic Post Reply