???WEEPING BLUE ATLAS CEDAR QUESTION???

Discuss Japanese gardens, bonsai, and other related topics.

Moderators: whis4ey, George Nesfield

Mr. Hanami

???WEEPING BLUE ATLAS CEDAR QUESTION???

Post by Mr. Hanami »

Hi,
Does my WEEPING BLUE ATLAS CEDAR (Cedrus atlantica 'Glauca Pendula') look healthy to you?

Last fall I planted this 6-foot specimen in the front of our house, next to the steps. We had a very warm winter until March. We then made up for it all in a few weeks time, with windy subzero conditions. Now that we thawed out from March, I notice that the bottom branches look browner than usual and are shedding.

I’m concerned that it got damaged. What do you think? Is this a normal Spring reaction? Or is does this tree have "one foot in the grave and the other on a bannana peel"? :(

Thanks,
J

Dōmo arigatō, Mr. Roboto,
J

Many Things of the past
flood to my mind
as I stand in the garden gazing at a cherry tree.
Matsuo Basho (1644-1694)
George Nesfield

Post by George Nesfield »

Hi,
It looks ok to me as you say maybe a little browning of some needles but remember just because some tree's are evergreen (or blue) they still loose needles which are replaced with new growth.
I forgot to mention give it the fingernail test (scrape you fingernai down the branch) if it's green which I am sure it will be it is ok, but if it's brown which I am sure it will not be it is dead.
George.
Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything
John

Post by John »

Looks fine to me! Normal shedding, as George suggested.

Like your granite steps!
Mr. Hanami

Post by Mr. Hanami »

Thanks George for the encouragement. I knew it was probably normal but I get a little worried only because this is the first house/garden we’ve ever owned. I’m very excited to get landscaping again this season. This forum has been a huge help. :D

John…thanks for noticing the granite steps. When building the house we tried to lower the foundation a few more feet in order to have only 2 granite steps but we had to blast into so much rock ledge just to get our basement down enough. Unfortunately that was the lowest we could get it down. We’re thrilled that the 4 steps & a 5th one at the end of the brick walkway worked out so well. I have an ideal situation in the back of the house for a Japanese garden because it’s all rock ledge. I’ll post pictures someday. I'll certainly need the help when I tackle that.

BTW…I would like to stake this weeping blue atlas cedar up a couple more feet to hang from 7-feet instead of 6. Should I get a longer piece of bamboo and tie it up the way it is? Or should I make a more elaborate bamboo stake?

Thanks,
J
J

Many Things of the past
flood to my mind
Matsuo Basho (1644-1694)
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

I would simply use a longer post
AND I would remove those bottom branchlets :)
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
George Nesfield

Post by George Nesfield »

Hi,
I'll second Sams suggestions, and yes your granitt steps do look great.
George.
Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything
Mr. Hanami

Post by Mr. Hanami »

Yeah...I was also wondering if those branchlets would rot or have some kind of trouble on the ground. :hmm: I'll remove them asap.

Thanks guys :D ,
J
J

Many Things of the past
flood to my mind
Matsuo Basho (1644-1694)
New Topic Post Reply