NIWAKI

Discuss Japanese gardens, bonsai, and other related topics.

Moderators: whis4ey, George Nesfield

George Nesfield

NIWAKI

Post by George Nesfield »

Hi,
Just arrived this afternoon my order of a new book by Jake Hobson called Niwaki it is all about shaping trees in the Japanese style if you are intrested in Japanese style trees and how to shape them then this is the book for you.
George.
Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything
Mr. Hanami

Post by Mr. Hanami »

Hi George,
I was wondering if you got your copy yet. I did not preorder a copy. But I think I need to get it, because I have so many questions. What was the website again?
Thanks,
J
Dōmo arigatō, Mr. Roboto,
J

Many Things of the past
flood to my mind
as I stand in the garden gazing at a cherry tree.
Matsuo Basho (1644-1694)
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

Darn
George beat me to it, and he has nothing to learn
My pre ordered copy is still in the post :(
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
George Nesfield

Hi,
I ordered mine direct from Jake Hobson the author and got a signed copy "To George of George's Japanese Garden"
you can order it from Amazon or from Jake and get a signed copy just tell him that I sent you.
Jakes email is info@niwaki.com
George.
Henrik

Post by Henrik »

Hi!

Now I have also ordered a signed copy of the book. Im inpretty desperate need of guidance when it comes to pruning my pines. I know there is a big bonsai even in my trees, but I lack the skills to find it :(

In most books that show how to prune usually rhe tutorials are sketches that show a simplified model of a pine. in reaölity, trees are not as idealistic as the sketches, which makes it very difficult how to start...

George have you tried to prune the pinus nigra? It has very big needle clusters, almost as long as the branch itself... I cant figure out where to begin pruning them. But their dark green color is very beautiful....

kind regards
Henrik
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

My copy just arrived about an hour ago
It looks like a good read
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
George Nesfield

Hi Henrik,
I have never prunned a pinus nigra (japanese black pine) but many pines are similar,as for the long green candles in clusters you should not let them get as long as that unless you want to extend the branch,pinch out the candles you don't want ,either the whole candle a half or quarter of it start at the top of the tree and work your way down the branches to the bottom branches and you can balance the tree as you prune.
Hi Sam,
I am pleased you have eventually received you book.
George.
Henrik

Post by Henrik »

Hi George!

I suspected pretty much of what you said... the pine Im thinking about pruning have wayy too many needles in their clusters..

Please have a look at these pics, the first three show my pinus nigra species.

I figured I share some other photos, next a neautiful japanese maple

and finally the pond from an unusual angle ;)

cheers!
Henrik
George Nesfield

Hi Henrik,
Those candles if you do not pinch them out will eventually become extensions to the branches.
your acer looks like an aureum or sometimes called moon maple, very nice.
George
Henrik

Post by Henrik »

Hi!

Yeah George, the maple is an aureum, it was extremly hard to come by! My speciment has a very dense foilage, which I think makes it unnessesary to prune.. perhaps later. But I dont think this type of maple has the weeping style growth pattern that many palmatums have...

Yesterday I pruned one of those maples pretty heavily, but Im not sure wethe I succeeded or ruined the tree. The problem was that when I cut back the candles as Jake@niwaki suggested I was left with a long branch and a few needles on top. It looked extremly out of proportion. I will post pic when I get home from work. I think, If I make an S-shaped main trunk and bend some branches quite heavily, I can make it proportional again. It has a very lovely root and trunk at the bottom... very thick and sligtly tilted.

/henrik
George Nesfield

Hi henrik,
Look forward to the photo of your prunning and I will see how I can help,you said you prunned your MAPLES but you meant PINES.
George.
Henrik

Post by Henrik »

Hi!

Yes you are correct, it was a pine I pruned, and not a maple.

Here are some pics of todays effords.

Im not sure what to do with this pine since it lacks branches in the middle. Either transplant a branch or try to bend down some of the top and bottom ones...

Also, the top is a bit strange. Perhaps I should cut down the "crown" like in jakes book, and bend down the remaining trunks..?

I was visiting a friend, and he have had some bad luck with a maple, it was infested with some black creatures, and it was planted in an extremly sunny location. I asked if I could have it and he agreed. I thought it had great potential to become a bonsai. I will try and cut back the trunks a lot during perhaps january, february next year, I will let it grow this year.. perhaps pinch away the leaves, what do you think? It is a known trick to help plants that have been transplanted during early summer... Then when I prune it I will try and shorten the trunks as much as possible to give it a more bushy look

Here is a closeup of the trunks... I dont have much experience with maples, perhaps someone wanna show with a simple line where you think I should cut it back?

Well thre u have it, a bunch of questions... Jakes book is really good, today was the firs ttime I really let loose the cutters on my trees, now that I have a better understanding of how the pines react to needlepicking and candlepinching...

Btw, my friend also gave me this pinus, it really looked awful when I got it, but I noticed it had a nice thick stem at the bottom. I pruned it heavily, and I am hoping it will recover. Im not sure about the trunks yet, or the top. I think it requires a lot of wire to make this scruffy looking tree into something nice. Before it was growing in an almost dark location, I think thats why it is so "deformed".....

What do you think, can this tree be saved? I have not yet decided on a front view for it... Perhaps the angle at which the pic is taken, what do u think? I will also make the trunk into an s shape when I replant it perhaps next year... That will help to give it an effect. if it survives....

happy pruning!
/Henrik
New Topic Post Reply