New year, new questions, new ideas...

Discuss Japanese gardens, bonsai, and other related topics.

Moderators: whis4ey, George Nesfield

Henrik

New year, new questions, new ideas...

Post by Henrik »

Hi!

Now I finally started to do some work in my garden... and as usual I find new problems to solve. I noticed that a big branch of my acer palmatum had died during the winter, so I had no choice but to cut it off :(

I made a temporary cut, and I figured I ask teh experts here, what additional steps I should take to prevent the tree from getting rotten...

And I have added some new stone and green ground cover around the stones in my attempted karesansui. ALthough Im far from satisfied with the scene. The balance is way off. both in color and in weight. But I seem to have problems finding what is needed to even the scales to the magical 70-30 balance in japanese gardens...

Please have a look and tell me what ya think, I have an additional bamboo I could throw in if you feel it is needed. As you can see there are only two bamboo now in the corner

And fianlly I wanted to show you another red-leafed maple I have on my wooden deck. I have a question about the pot, you think it is at a good shape and size? I feel it is somewhat small.... The maple is about 10 m in height...

happy gardening
Henrik
George Nesfield

Post by George Nesfield »

Hi Henrik,
The stumps on your acer you want to cut with a slope on them so that the rain will run off , and I think the pot that you have your acer in will do for this year but at the back end of the season I would move it on to a larger pot.
Here's a little idea for your garden.
George.
Attachments
henriks garden.jpg
henriks garden.jpg (52.8 KiB) Viewed 2444 times
Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything
Henrik

Post by Henrik »

Hi George!

Yes I will cut them in a slope, but should I treat the cut with something to prevent moist to enter the tree and kill it? This place is rather shady...

Thanks for your design ideas... Im not sure I want to make such radical changes... I was think perhaps removing or adding a shrub or two.... just to create the balance.... :bd:

Do you know any good places that really teaches how to prune a pine or maple? I mean complete with videos and such. I have read 2 books on bonsai now, and I dont feel like I am any more confident in shaping and pruning mmy pines now, than I was before. I think I need something more hands on to really grasp the idea... Im happy to pay for this material... if it exists...

No garden programs on tv ever talk about japanese gardening in these terms... And I have some really nice speciments in my garden that I dont want to waste...

/henrik
George Nesfield

Post by George Nesfield »

Hi Henrik,
I think the acer stubs will be okay without any treatment and the design was just me spending a few minutes on my computer and a good book which as just been published is NIWAKI it is all about training and prunning trees and pines in the Japanese style, just look at my post called NIWAKI which I posted last week it will give you the address for the book.
George.
Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

Those cuts on your tree should NOT be left so long. They will harbour disease and will rot back to the tree itself
Pruning of branches should be right back to where it joins the trunk, but being careful NOT to go closer to the main trunk than the 'shoulder' which you will see if you look closely. It is that 'shoulder' which is the tree's protection, and which will grow to cover the cut
General opinion now is that you should NOT treat the cut
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
New Topic Post Reply