Some advice and suggestions

Discuss Japanese gardens, bonsai, and other related topics.

Moderators: whis4ey, George Nesfield

Henrik

Some advice and suggestions

Post by Henrik »

Hi!

Now the garden is really explosing into life, with all the azalea in full bloom. A beautiful arrangement of colors, sadly it doesnt last very long.

I made a really bargain today when I visited a nursery I never been at. They had a very nice speciment of pinus parviflorus which was way back among the trees, and no one had eveer bothered to bring it up front. But when I see something I like I go at it. I had to move about 15 pots of maples, beech etc in order to get to it. But it was really nice.

Now I dont wanna ruin it but starting pruning, so I was hoping for George or someone else to give me some hints on where to start. Perhaps draw some simple lines where to cut, just go get me started. I have studied Jakes book very carefully, and have an understanding for how the pines grow... But I guess I can begin the fukinaoshi right away? Please observe this picture, I think I have found the right front angle...

Next, I have completed adding a new deck. Now I want to make the final touch by adding a first step. PLease look at this pic:

I want a rather big step that is stable enough to sit at, and sort of reaching out towards the pond. But Im not sure if the short sides of the step should be straight, or at an angle like the deck (look at the red lines). I think I will go for teh straight look.

Then I had another idea. On many pics of japanese gardens and houses they have nice stone arrangements, cobblestone paving etc close to their deck. And its really a pain to have the grass so close to the deck. Do you think I could add some cobblestones? Or perhaps a few bigger stones close to the step? If you can and have time, please do some photo shop magic on my pic... :)

Finally here is a pic of my tsukubai arrangement. The maple is coming alone nicely (even without pruning), so does the pieris and the hosta. The ferns have not yet appeared. Probably because this is a very shaded area.

happy gardening!
Henrik
George Nesfield

Post by George Nesfield »

Hi Henrik,
First of all I would put it in a larger pot where it could stay for 2 to 3 years or if you have found a place for it in your garden plant it, I would then start to straighten out the branches by wiring them and maybe pinching some of those candles at the top of the pine remember it wants to have a pyramid shape ie smaller at the top and wider at the bottom but take your time there is no rush and best of luck with it and I hope you get it to look like mine in the years to come.
George.
Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything
Herb

Rough idea

Post by Herb »

Henrik,

Is this anything like what you had in mind?

Bert
Attachments
Henrik  b 27 May.JPG
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

Looks good to me Herb :)
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
Colin

Post by Colin »

Hi Henrik I think Herbs image looks great, maybe with the addition of some large stones or cobbles in arrangements near the decking possibly!!?? personal choice but that certainly looks the part.

Regards Colin
When confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
George Nesfield

Post by George Nesfield »

Hi Bert,
well done, you certainly know how to use your photo shop programme.
George.
Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything
Henrik

Post by Henrik »

Hi!

Thanks for your effort, but it was not what I was looking for :oops:

If you look at my original pic I have added some black lines where the new step will be. My plan was to add some cobblestones around it to keep the grass away (moulded in cement like a path), and perhaps a few bigger stones (not too big) really close to frame it and give it some balance. No tall bushes in front of the deck, that will hinder the view.

Eventually I will add stepping stones leading to this step and from the step to the pond.

I wish I could draw it like I see it in my mind....

Colin you are really close I think! If I can find the pic Im thinking about in one of my books i will give you a page number.... I think I have seen something similar also in "the last samurai" outside Naka's house which has a wood deck around it. The arrangement of shrubs and stones is very subtile, yet very effective.

kind regards
Henrik
Herb

Post by Herb »

Henrik,

O.K., here's one with a concrete step that may be more along the lines of what you are thinking of. I can't include cobblestones, because I don't have any cobblestones pictures - cobblestones seem to be rather rare in our neck of the woods.

Bert
Attachments
deckstepB.jpg
deckstepB.jpg (41.34 KiB) Viewed 2808 times
Henrik

Post by Henrik »

Thanks Herb for you kind effort!

I wasn't thinking about using gravel, but leave the grass as it is, and just add some cement steps from the deck to the pond. And perhals a rock or 2 next to the deck step.

I dont like to overcrowd scenes, I prefer polishing what I have :) And this deck is in desperate needs of some polishing.. hehe.

I have basiclly no knowledge whatsoever on japanese architecture. I wonder how they would build a deck with a roof... What kind of ornaments, material etc they would use... anyone know?

kind regards
Henrik
New Topic Post Reply