Why??

Discuss Japanese gardens, bonsai, and other related topics.

Moderators: whis4ey, George Nesfield

Colin

Why??

Post by Colin »

I have put a lot of work into the garden this year and its starting to take shape but I'm not quite happy with it yet. Why is it when I have visitors they love it but I cant quite see it?? I think people are very critical of their own work maybe? or most people dont really understand the principles of a Japanese garden possibly?? It maybe that I've seen so many pictures in books on this site (of your great gardens) and I'm trying to achieve something too close!!.
That was quite a philosophical moment there!!Ha Ha.
Seriously there are small sections of the garden that I like the feel of but the overall is lacking. I will get it eventually!! (hopefully) :lol: :wink:

Regards Colin
When confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
George Nesfield

Post by George Nesfield »

Hi Colin,
I think that what ever you do you are allways making little changes and even when you think that you have sorted it you still carry on making those little changes, that is what it is all about and makes it such a brilliant hobby.so carry on making those changes.
George.
Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything
Henrik

Post by Henrik »

When I do my work in my garden, I try to find a style that pleases me. There are a number of items in my garden that Im not pleased with., but have remained as they are due to a number of reasons:

* lack of time

* lack of money

* lack of inspiration

etc

When this happens I will retreat, find inspiration, ask someone (usually you ppl here) and later come around for another pass, hopefully to make it better.

If I was a gardener with 10 yers of education in Japan I could probably draw a sketch of exactly what my garden would look like. But since I have no such skills, I pick a few areas Im interested in (like ponds, roofing, niwaki) and try to sharpen my skills there... And when Im happy with that, I focus my attention on something that im really really unhappy with. And then this continue into an (almost) endless loop.

Its no easy thing trying to design a garden like the japanese do. And I have no hope of ever achieving that, not unless I relocate to a new environment more suited. I keep at it while its fun, and its a pleasure to see the garden improve year after year. And hopefully I have become a better gardener and designer in the process.

Sit down and observe your garden... which things bother you? Try to find out why they bother you. Usually it has something to do with balance, shape, color, proportions. Find out what you can do to fix it, and try and fix it. Some things are easy to fix, some are very difficult. Some difficult things in my garden:

* front view (I just want to add a 2 m plank wall)

*wood deck (Something is not right....)

* pond (Its too small!! and need more rocks around the edges)

* right back corner (I hate it)

One step at a time...

/Henrik
Colin

Post by Colin »

Thanks to you both. I love my garden and will continue till to change it till I think its right. I think sometimes I am to self critical. Henrik I agree with your list entirely but would add my wife! as she wants it to look more like an English garden Ha Ha. I was quite pleased when my father in law recently visited and said i had done an excellent job!! and he is a man that takes great pride in his garden so I am getting their. Thanks George and Henrik and everyone else on the forum for giving me constant inspiration.

Thanks Colin
When confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Tokyo Mike

Post by Tokyo Mike »

If I had a dollar for everything i've changed or re-changed in my garden i'd.........well...still be wayyyyyyyyyyy over budget ! :eek:

I have similiar feelings about my little bit of garden. Others think it's wonderful, I still think it has a long way to go.
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

Aww well .... change is what makes a garden
Some things don't work ..... change
Some plants are out of place ... change
Some plants grow too quickly and need replaced or simply removed ... change
The best gardeners are those that are prepared to adapt :)
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
New Topic Post Reply