Teahouse construction

Discuss Japanese gardens, bonsai, and other related topics.

Moderators: whis4ey, George Nesfield

Herb

Teahouse construction

Post by Herb »

The Takata Garden folk at Glendale Gardens in Victoria have just started building a Teahouse for their future Tea Garden that will be to one side of their Zen Garden.

Here's a picture of what it looked like this afternoon.
Attachments
New Teahouse.JPG
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

Keep the pics coming Herb .... they will be very useful for my next effort :)
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
Henrik

Post by Henrik »

That looks really nice!
Do you have any idea what kind of reference they are using? Please update with all the pics you can!

kind regards
Henrik
Herb

Teahouse progress

Post by Herb »

I was at Glendale Gardens this afternoon to see how the new Teahouse was coming along. There's been a lot of progress - see the last 6 pictures in this album -

http://www.pbase.com/mtu_fulani/takata_garden&page=2

The quality of the construction looks exquisite. The second of the 6 pictures is of a little alcove to the left of the main door. The craftsman who was working on it today described it as the kitchen. I guess it's where the tea making paraphernalia will be kept and possibly where the tea will be brewed.

Henrik - I'm sorry, I don't know what the answer is to your question about what reference they're using.

Bert
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

What a pretty garden! Enjoyed touring the whole thing through all the pics! Thanks for sharing that site! :D
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Herb

Post by Herb »

I've been meaning to get a better picture of the poster that's on display at Glendale Gardens (aka Horticulture Centre of the Pacific) illustrating the layout for their future Tea Garden, but so far, this is the best I've achieved.

The layout was sketched, I believe, by Michael (or maybe it was Sean) Greenfield of Greenfield Design. It was Greenfield Design, in cooperation with the Takata Garden Curator, Bob Clarke, who constructed (and made such a fine job of) Glendale Gardens' Zen Garden.

The Teahouse (now pretty well complete I think) is illustrated in the upper part of the sketch, slightly to the right. The Machiai in the sketch on the other hand has been there for several years.

Work hadn't yet begun on the pond when I was last there. Bob Clarke told me that they'll have to clear a lot of the plants out of the existing pond, and to re-line it but this of course will cost money - which they're trying to raise.

Bert
Attachments
Tea Garden 033.jpg
Tea Garden 033.jpg (34.69 KiB) Viewed 2751 times
VThosta/daylilylover

Post by VThosta/daylilylover »

Thank you for sharing!
This garden SCREAMS tranquility!
I especially love the covered gate.
Ceil
New Topic Post Reply