Herb's Tanyosho pine

Discuss Japanese gardens, bonsai, and other related topics.

Moderators: whis4ey, George Nesfield

George Nesfield

Herb's Tanyosho pine

Post by George Nesfield »

Hi Bert,

I noticed on mr Hanami post about his pine you posted a photo of yours and after looking at it and weighing it up,
you DON'T have to do this BUT I thought it could maybe look even better if you prunned it like this maybe not immediatly but certainly in a few months time. but you will have to be brave to do it.
George.

BEFORE AND AFTER I cannot get the photo's to post in the right sequence the prunned pine keeps coming on first.
Attachments
bertspine.jpg
bertspine.jpg (45.35 KiB) Viewed 3501 times
prunned pine.jpg
prunned pine.jpg (47.37 KiB) Viewed 3501 times
Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything
Herb

Post by Herb »

George -

Thanks for the idea. I'm thinking about it, but I'm afraid I'm not very brave when it comes to pruning trees - if I cut a branch off and then think I shouldn't have done it, it's too late.

I'm wondering whether the lantern influenced you? I'd better explain that I don't intend the lantern to stay there - I'd put it there only because I was advertising it for sale & thought the Pine helped show it off a bit!

As an alternative, do you think it would look O.K. if - as a first step - it were thinned out so as to expose more of the branch structure?

Bert
George Nesfield

Hi Bert,
I honestly think if it was mine I would take that left side branch off and start to prune it into a cloud formation at the top of the trunk which by taking the lower branches off it would give it hight and also make it look like a tree and not a shrub, okay it isn't going to look perfect straight away but I think it would look really good in the future.
George.
Herb

Post by Herb »

Hi George,

I got brave enough to thin the Pine put a bit, and I'm telling myself that it leaves the option open to Cloud Prune it the way you favour - but there's another obstacle to that - my wife is a bit doubtful about the Cloud Pruning route!

Anyway, here's a picture of the thinning result. I may just leave the lantern there - it looked a bit lost without it.

http://www.pbase.com/image/85977000

There's another - and I think, bigger - problem though with this corner of our garden. The neighbours are extending their house, and the extension includes a window where there used to be a blank wall -

http://www.pbase.com/mtu_fulani/image/85978398

I'm not comfortable with the new window. It makes our garden feel a lot less private, so we've been pondering what to do about it. One way might be to plant a tree in the corner, but it would be rather close to the house. Our latest idea is to change the gate for one that's taller and has a roof. Something like this -

http://www.pbase.com/mtu_fulani/image/85978399

Whether I'd do it myself, or hire somebody to do it is still undecided.

Bert
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

I love the look of that gate. I think that's a perfect solution. Of course they neighbor probably wouldn't like it, b/c yours gardens were most likely the reason for placement of that window. I'd sure like the view of your gardens out a window rather than a side wall :D
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
George Nesfield

Hi Bert,
That gate seems the perfect solution to your prying eyes problem and I agree you have got to consider your wifes views on prunning and I am sure it would be better for you to fallout with me than with your wife :roll: .
also prunning is a personal thing what pleases one doe's not necesarily please another, but you pine certainly looks better for the prunning that you have done.
George.
Herb

Tanyosho Pine - December 1

Post by Herb »

It never snows in Victoria. Well, hardly ever. There was dusting of snow this morning, (now beginning to melt).

Interestingly, the snow - combined with pruning that I did a few months ago - as well as our Tanyosho Pine's having lost a fair number of needles - made the branch structure show up quite noticeably. Now I feel it still looks just a bit crowded.

It's made me think that perhaps I should thin it out a bit more next year....

Bert
Attachments
Tanyosho Pine 1 Dec 07.jpg
New Topic Post Reply