How do you like this Dry Stream technique?

Discuss Japanese gardens, bonsai, and other related topics.

Moderators: whis4ey, George Nesfield

Herb

How do you like this Dry Stream technique?

Post by Herb »

All the 'dry streams' that I've ever seen in a Japanese garden use rocks and sand or gravel to simulate the appearance of a stream.

Until today that is. On a visit this afternoon to 'Chosin Pottery ( www.chosinpottery.ca ) I saw a Dry Stream that the owner, Robin Hopper, who's a celebrated ceramics artist, had made for his own garden.

It was unlike any other I've ever seen. Instead of using sand or gravel, he'd made it (I think) from smooth surfaced concrete into which he'd set what I assume are chips of white marble. He'd so arranged the chips that they give the distinct impression of ripples in flowing water. Not only that, but he'd also set a number of ceramic Koi (that of course he'd also made) into the concrete. The impression of a flowing stream with fish in it was quite powerful. It was raining, & I didn't want my camera to get wet, so I managed to take only one picture that included it.

The stream 'flows' from left to right in the picture and appears to pass under the red railinged 'bridge'.

Bert
Attachments
Concrete Stream.jpg
John

Post by John »

Not sure I like it... it is certainly clever, and perhaps Japanese-inspired... I'd like to see the concrete stream looking less like concrete, and not so close in color to the path and bridge; and perhaps the koi could have been all one color (orange?) and grouped together more.

You were there in person, does it "work"?
Herb

Post by Herb »

John - Despite being there in person, I only gave the stream a few cursory glances because it was raining but I think it definitely works in it's own special way. I'm going to visit the garden again soon & take some more pictures of it - but on a dry day. The only thought I have at present is that if the 'bridge' were raised a few inches, it might enhance the impression of the stream flowing underneath it?

The stream's creator insists that the most appropriate description for his garden is not so much "Japanese" as "Anglo-Japanadian" - but whatever words are used for it, it's clear that he's a very talented artist.

Herb
George Nesfield

Post by George Nesfield »

Hi Bert,
What ever turns you on,but I must admit it is a clever and talented piece of work ,but I am afraid it is not for me it reminds me of all these so called garden make overs by designers who suddenly think they are also gardeners but most of them don't have a clue.
George.
Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything
John

Post by John »

I agree, Herb, it might work better if the bridge were raised a bit more... less of the look of two paths intersecting.

It is a clever piece of work by a talented artist, but...

Thanks for sharing!
New Topic Post Reply