Niwaki help

Discuss Japanese gardens, bonsai, and other related topics.

Moderators: whis4ey, George Nesfield

Mr. Hanami

Post by Mr. Hanami »

O.K....I finally started. There's no turning back now. I haven’t had any time. I had a few minutes this afternoon and I forgot to cut off one the branches you removed in the picture. I'll get back to it Thursday. I still need to buy some good string. I tried to pull down horizontally the remaining bottom branches and I'm finding that they are pretty stiff. I'm afraid of breaking them. Do you think it is too cold now to pull them down? It's been in the 40's during the day and freezing at night. Thursday is supposed to warm up to 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Do you think I should pull them down then? I have another question about picture #14. The middle branch is very large with many sections to it. You can see it better in #15. I’m wondering which section should I cut back to.
Cheers!

Image#12

Image#13

Image#14

Image#15

Image#16
Dōmo arigatō, Mr. Roboto,
J

Many Things of the past
flood to my mind
as I stand in the garden gazing at a cherry tree.
Matsuo Basho (1644-1694)
George Nesfield

Post by George Nesfield »

Hi Jason,
I would leave pulling some of the branches down while spring when the sap starts to rise they should be a little more supple then but what do you think to this prunning it is all helping to shape your pine as those branches seemed to long and set in their position.
George.
Attachments
1301.jpg
1301.jpg (45.11 KiB) Viewed 2257 times
Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything
Mr. Hanami

Post by Mr. Hanami »

Oh No…HELP…I need some serious guidance. I felt a little rambunctious today and I wanted to try my hand at “momiage” from my book.. Today was my only chance to tie the branches down, because it was 60 degrees Fahrenheit. I hope I didn’t go to far. I need help with the V shaped forks. I got confused and I don’t know what I should do to the head. Please tell me which branches I need to correct with the string. Tomorrow is going down into the 20’s.
Cheers!

Image#17 Elvis says: "Thankyouverymuch"

Image#18

Image#19

Image#20

Image#21

Image#22

Image#23
J

Many Things of the past
flood to my mind
Matsuo Basho (1644-1694)
George Nesfield

Post by George Nesfield »

Hi Jason,
You have really done it now, good on you,we all have to start somewhere and you have started with your pine and it is only by doing things like this that anyone learns,nd now I would suggest that you nip those long branchlets at the end of the branches so far down and then leave while next year.here is a photo with your branchlets nipped back.
George.
Attachments
1401.jpg
1401.jpg (45.28 KiB) Viewed 2223 times
Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything
Mr. Hanami

Post by Mr. Hanami »

Hi George,
Thanks for the encouragement. You’re too kind. This one stressed me out. I’ll leave the P. Parviflora for next year. I’ll be sure to nip the long branchlets. :D
J

Many Things of the past
flood to my mind
Matsuo Basho (1644-1694)
New Topic Post Reply