Miniature garden with pruning challenges

Discuss Japanese gardens, bonsai, and other related topics.

Moderators: whis4ey, George Nesfield

largosmom

Miniature garden with pruning challenges

Post by largosmom »

Hello, I have begun a new project for this year. I have some larger ones elsewhere, but thought to try my hand at something small scale before trying anything larger.

:D

I decided to create a couple of miniature gardens with a Japanese flavor to them. I know they won't always stay this small, but for a couple of years thought it might be fun to make a bit of a scene.

I have a round shallow bowl that I've planted a small grafted Japanese Maple, 'Mikawa Yatsubusa' (hope I have the name right, I dropped the tag into the previous container and accidentally put it in my shed, so have to check later in the week. Anyway, I have this small tree that is beginning to leaf out. I have some before and after shots, but I decided to try training the long branches down after reading through the Niwaki book, which I also purchased. I am using some bamboo sticks and some velcro binding to tie them down for now. I am also considering chopping them off altogether and keeping the smaller scale branches, which will likely grow this spring anyway by a few inches.

I'll also post a pic of a dwarf conifer that I want to prune and would like your thoughts. I don't have a clue about conifers so am a real newbie at them. Japanese Maples I have a bit of experience with, but larger ones in larger containers, or in the landscape.

I will probably add a small arched bridge and maybe a Japanese lantern, and some more ground cover mini plants, to fill in once I place the other elements into the landscape.

I would appreciate your thoughts. I may post some more pics of the conifers I picked for suggestions. I have enough to do one more miniature garden.

Laura

First pic is of the current arrangement, but this can be easily redone. The sticks look like a rough arbor at the moment.
Attachments
Bonsaiplan.jpg
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Here's just the maple, before tying it down.
Attachments
JMMaikawaYatsubusa.jpg
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Here are a couple more angles on the tree. There are actually three branches close together. The two long ones are the uppermost.
Attachments
side angle
side angle
side angle
side angle
Overhead
Overhead
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

This is the other tree I want to add, a dwarf Hinoki Cypress 'obtusa'. I'm not sure of the growth rate on this, but hope it won't outgrow for at least the first year. It seems to have a nice shape for miniature pruning in a Japanese style. It's hard to tell about the top, but the visible branches seem nice.

Can you cut the tips on these, or only prune out the individual bunches of "leaves" (what is the proper term?).

I have four shots from each side on this one.
Attachments
Dwarf Hinoki cypress obtusa side1.jpg
Dwarf Hinoki Cypress side2.jpg
Dwarf Hinoki Cypress side2.jpg (52.11 KiB) Viewed 4798 times
Dwarf hinoki cypress sd3.jpg
Dwarf hinoki cypress sd3.jpg (48.3 KiB) Viewed 4797 times
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

The last side.
Attachments
dwarf hinoki cypress sd4.jpg
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Last, a couple others I will likely add to this garden. I think it needs a touch of gold.

This is a miniature cypress Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Gold Dust' (boy is that a mouth full).
Attachments
Sawaki Cypress gold dust.jpg
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

I also have some purplish miniature sedum and some thyme that may go around the edges someplace.

Thanks!

Laura
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

I saw someone do this on Gardening by the Yard this last weekend! He did something just like you are doing, only he mounded up the soil more. He also used moss as ground cover over the soil and made a dry creekbed out of pebbles. It looks really cool and did look like fun!

Ginger
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Here is the link to the show. It is called Bonniwa. Have fun!

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_plants_othe ... 86,00.html

Ginger
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

I saw that show too, and it inspired me to press on with an idea I had for a year or two for a miniature garden. I've seen several "fairy gardens" at my local nursery, but never one with a Japanese flair. I had forgotten the term the show used, but that is the idea I'm after!

Any ideas on the pruning? Yes/No? I thought about chopping off the longer branches on the maple too and getting them to the scale of the shorter ones on the other side.

Laura
George Nesfield

Post by George Nesfield »

Hi,
very impressive, you will have to finger prune your juniper.
George.
Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Okay, thanks...off to google "finger prune"!

The juniper is the tall one, right?

I'm a real newbie.

:o
George Nesfield

Post by George Nesfield »

Hi,
The Japanese term for your garden in a tray is BONKEI which means a landscape in a tray.
to finger prune you take the part to be prunned between your thumb and forefinger and twist and pull ,with your other hand holding the part you are prunning,do it a little at a time DON'T grab a handfull .
happy prunning.
Here's a photo of me finger prunning my pine, but you still do it the same.
George.
Attachments
pinepruning_002.jpg
pinepruning_002.jpg (51.88 KiB) Viewed 4717 times
Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

It does look like fun! George, did the show mispronouce/spell the name or is Banniwa just the Americanized version of the name?

Ginger
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

oops wrong post!
New Topic Post Reply