maple trouble

Discuss Japanese gardens, bonsai, and other related topics.

Moderators: whis4ey, George Nesfield

Daren

maple trouble

Post by Daren »

Hi,
I have a norway maple that's about seven years old, stands about four metres tall in ground that, every year, gets waterlogged in the winter months. It's been perfectly happy so far, in 2006 it put out a new shoot from the base that grew two metres in one year!
However, this year it began to bud in spring & then stopped in it's tracks. It still only has the tiniest of leaf buds when it should be in full leaf.
I did a scratch on the bark & it's healthy looking reen underneath.
This is really bizarre. Hs anyone ever heard of a maple going into hibernation during the summer?
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

Maples do not like soil that is overly wet
If your tree is in soil that is waterlogged every year, it has been slowly dying
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
Daren

maple

Post by Daren »

even the Norway Maple?
It was on a list of trees recommended for a wet site.
It's done well so far.
George Nesfield

Post by George Nesfield »

Hi Darren,
I think I would go along with Sam's suggestions, because to my knowledge Maples do not like to get to much water they like the soil moist BUT NOT WET, I would suggest you dig it up with a large soil ball around the roots and place it somewhere a bit drier.
George.
Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

It is not doing too well at the moment Daren :)
All my little books suggest that maples in general do not like wet
Van Gelderen in Maples for gardens says that
'very wet situations should be avoided'
although he suggests that Acer rubrum and Acer saccharum are more tolerant of wetter conditions
(the norway maple is Acer platanoides)
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
Daren

acer

Post by Daren »

I have an acer rubrum close to the norway maple.
maybe I should pull out the norway & put another rubrum in it's place.
It's odd how the norway's demise wasn't a slow decline, it was doing well then suddenly quit.
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

Trees can sometimes take quite a long time to 'die', or, as in this case, to show that all is not well
It is the 'waterlogging' that is the problem, and will not be a great environment for any tree except maybe a Swamp Cypress
Van Gelderen is not suggesting that a Rubrum would tolerate fully a waterlogged site
Another point, of course, is that this year we have had probably the driest May for some considerable time. Possibly the change from very wet to very dry was too much for the poor tree, and it succumbed to the stress
It might, of course, recover?
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

Hun Ki Dory
Daren

swamp

Post by Daren »

I did entertain the idea of a swamp cypress. But I don't like the thought of having 'knees' appear all over the garden. Bit of a mowing/tripping hazard. It may not be wet enough to cause knees, but it's a bit of a gamble.
George Nesfield

Hi Darren,
I have a swamp cypress , you can control them by prunning ,they are a beautiful tree with the beautifull green during the growing season and the foxy red in the fall and winter.mine is at the back of my small pond and I keep itto a reasonable size with my prunners.and mine as never thrown out any knees.I would suggest give it a go.
George.
Daren

cypress

Post by Daren »

I really like the look of these cypress & I'm extreemly tempted. How wet is your site? Mine has standing water on the surface all winter so I'm guessing it's a big knee risk. It's also right on the boundry with my neighbours property, so if it did put up knees they would go into his garden.
George Nesfield

Hi Darren,
Mine is in a reasonably normal situation not wet not dry.
George.
Mr. Hanami

Post by Mr. Hanami »

Hi Daren,
I have a wet spot too, and I was thinking of planting a Dawn Redwood. What do you think of those?
Dōmo arigatō, Mr. Roboto,
J

Many Things of the past
flood to my mind
as I stand in the garden gazing at a cherry tree.
Matsuo Basho (1644-1694)
Daren

redwood

Post by Daren »

Now that looks a fine tree. I was running out of options, but this may be a contender. I wonder how easy it is to contol it's size?
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

The Dawn Redwood will become a massive tree but it will take some time
I have had mine maybe 8 years now
http://www.fujiyamagarden.com/DawnRedwood.html
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

Hun Ki Dory
George Nesfield

Hi Sam,
But surely if you wish it can be kept to a reasonable size by prunning,
I have a sequoia the giant redwood which I bought a couple of years ago (another bargain) for £10.00 and at the moment I have it still in its container that it came in it stands about four foot and has some lovely cones on it, I intend to keep this at a reasonable size and most probably try to cloud prune it, I will take a photo later and post it in the forum.
I also have a metasaquoia but mine is sempervirens addpressa this is the photo of me cloud prunning it.
George.
Attachments
sequoia01.jpg
sequoia01.jpg (37.99 KiB) Viewed 5146 times
Last edited by George Nesfield on Jun 06, 2008 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daren

size

Post by Daren »

Pruning will keep the height down, but do you know if this would this also prevent the trunk from expanding in girth?
My spot is up againsd a fence that divides my garden from my neighbour's. I don't want the tree to expend & push over the fence in twenty year's time. I know I could allow space by planting a distance from the fence, but space is an issue, I don't have it.
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

Probably George, but does continual pruning not eventually harm a tree? Maybe not :)
By the way ... you are quite mad to go up there at your young age :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

Hun Ki Dory
George Nesfield

Hi Sam ,
No prunning revitalises the tree just look at some of the bonsai which are 100's of years old.
George.
Daren

cypress

Post by Daren »

Thanks for the advice chaps.
I have come to a decision. I'm going for the swamp cypress.
I've done some further reading. There are two theories about what causes the knees. One is that the permanently submerged tree is trying to gain more oxygen by putting roots up above water level.
This doesn't make much sense because all trees have roots that are oxygen deprived no matter if they are standing in dry soil or waterlogged mud. Water actually contains more oxygen than dry soil.
Putting a little root up above water level isn't going to gain much more oxgen compared to what's being absorbed by the massive top growth.
The second theory is that the knees are used to stabalize the tree in watery conditions where the tree is in loose mud. This is also why the base flares, to lower the centre of gravity. The swamp cypress has a reputaion of being hurricane resitant.
This latter theory sounds more plausible to me.
I have heavy clay soil, so I don't think looseness is an issue, so hopefully it won't knee.
New Topic Post Reply