gravel question

Discuss Japanese gardens, bonsai, and other related topics.

Moderators: whis4ey, George Nesfield

Gardentoad
USDA Zone: 5

gravel question

Post by Gardentoad »

How do you guys keep your gravel so clean?
After a year or so my gravel gets so many small sticks, leaves , maple seeds and soil that even using a blower doesn't make it fresh like the pictures you all post.
I don't have large gravel areas so I use a small rake around the plants.
Also sinking is a problem. It doesn't help much to use the landscape fabric either. Large rocks pull down too.

I also have a chipmonk population that does some digging.

Are you using the rounded gravel?
mine has sharp edges.

Do you just keep adding more on top??
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
George Nesfield

Post by George Nesfield »

Hi,
Mine is sharp jagged edged limestone and is at least four inches deep ( I think the depth helps to keep it looking good) and it is just laid on large plastic bags and when the chippings are put on top I just spear it all over with a garden fork to let the rain through, I also brush the leaves off with a bamboo broom similar to what a witch uses for transport. it seems to get all the leaves off quite easily.and no I havn't added any more for quite a few years now.
George.
Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything
Daren

weeds

Post by Daren »

I seem to get weeds growing in my gravel, even with membrane underneath. The moisture that it traps is enough for the little buggers to grow in.
I also get green aglae growing on it in some areas
Gardentoad
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Gardentoad »

Thanks.
I think I need to add more. Mine is 2" and less in some places now. The animals would probably not dig down 4" of gravel so that would stop some mixing the soil in it.
Algae isn't a problem here ,yet. As my plantings get larger I'm sure it will be.
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
New Topic Post Reply