surprise garden invite

Discuss Japanese gardens, bonsai, and other related topics.

Moderators: whis4ey, George Nesfield

irkwater

surprise garden invite

Post by irkwater »

Hi folks.

I had a great experience about had better luck by asking a bonnie young girl a week ago which Im sure will be of interest to all us gardeners
about ten miles from my home is a picture postcard little village named Somerseat.which boasts a couple of old worldly pubs a river and a garden center but also held another atractionin the form of a bonsai workshop owned by a guy named Tony Tickle,who also has a website named yamadori
Twelve months back while visiting the garden center I enqired about this guys whearabouts with no success and was told by a local man who I flagged down as he was driving through the village in a tractor. Ther was nobody of that name lived there and I was wasting my time looking
Thi year however I had a stroke of luck when I asked a bonnie young girl who gave me directions to an old mill by the river
There was a door with yamadori uk on it and a bell push I pressed the bell and heard a voice sa who is it Brian i called back which was silly as the inmate andI had never met but even so tony shouted come on in Brian so tha made two of us I was led into an office overlooking the river with trout swimming by and a dipper diving in the water and wlking on the the riverbded
Forty years ago Tony had bad accident that put him on his back for some time and he asked for some books on japanese gardening and bonsai He recovered annd has since traveled w the worldsearching for bonsai He offered to take me to his home and see the garden and hi bonsai collection whic was a memorable visit indeed with a well stocked koi pond and bonsai the like I have never seen before the famous Japanese master Mashahori Kimura has visited him along with a host of other masters of the subject
i tell you fellow gardeers this guy was so friendly and took a lot of trouble to make my uninvited visit a memorable accasionI cant thank him enough
Regards Brian
Tokyo Mike

Re: surprise garden invite

Post by Tokyo Mike »

Wonderful story.
On your next trip try to snap a few pics.
irkwater

Post by irkwater »

You are right about the photos Mikr I am having problems reducing the pixels.
Hoping you have sorted your storm damage
Keep well Brian
Tokyo Mike

Post by Tokyo Mike »

Nice of you to remember. Actually, when the plans are completed and the last of the large damaged trees are removed, i'll probably like the result better than the original. I'm still at least a year away from getting it all done. But it keeps one occupied.
George Nesfield

Post by George Nesfield »

Hi Brian,
A truly amazing story I am pleased that you found him, and if you have some pics please post them.
George.
Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything
New Topic Post Reply