What happened to my JM buds?

Discuss Japanese gardens, bonsai, and other related topics.

Moderators: whis4ey, George Nesfield

Schattenfreude
USDA Zone: 5b - 6a

What happened to my JM buds?

Post by Schattenfreude »

I have 2 Autumn Moon maples and both seem to have lost their buds over the winter.... just a bunch of hollow sockets left where buds had formed last fall. Did the birds pick at them and eat 'em? Are my trees sick? These are two of the maples I got at the nursery auction last fall so I don't know how well treated they were throughout our hot summer. Both appear to have green wood and I've even noticed secondary buds popping out, slowly but surely. I'm just wondering what caused the trees to lose their buds to begin with. I buried the pots in the ground over the winter, by the way, and then piled some leaves on top of the pots. Was this my mistake?

Most of my trees are leafing out this week due to the abnormally warm weather. I'm especially in love with my new Katsura and Koto No Ito is just ready to break open. I plan to take some pics, but can't locate my camera at the moment. :roll:

Kevin
George Nesfield

Re: What happened to my JM buds?

Post by George Nesfield »

Hi Kevin,
It could maybe have been the frost that got to them but if you have some green shoots coming at least they are still alive so let's hope they survive,also if the compost they have been kept in dried out that could also be a cause.
George.
Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything
Schattenfreude

Post by Schattenfreude »

George,

We had the mildest winter I can remember in my 49 years, so I doubt that the cold played any role. The dirt in and around the pot was kept plenty moist, too. In fact, I'm starting to think that the roots were too wet over the winter. I don't think that the ground ever froze this year (very odd) and I even watered a few times back in January. Next winter I'll be sure to keep the hose away. A couple other varieties exhibited the same lack of buds, but they're also showing new buds below the dried out sockets. <whew>

I'll try to get close enough to snap some pics this week, if my camera will allow it. We're expecting some heavy thunderstorms tomorrow and Tuesday so I hope that the wind and hail stay away.

Kevin
Bob Scott
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by Bob Scott »

Squirrels possibly? They are known to snack on new buds.
Schattenfreude

Post by Schattenfreude »

Bob,

Thanks for that tip. I have many squirrels in my yard all winter long and a bird feeder very near some of my buried pots of japanese maples. I'll have to move the feeder next winter.

Kevin
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

HI Kevin,

I was also thinking that it could have been a cold snap. With the mild winter the buds may have started to swell too early on one of those oddly warm winter days and then a hard freeze after could have made them drop off. Overwatering might have been part of it too, though, and you are right, they should stay more dry than wet over the winter. But usually latent buds will take their place if the tips are still green.
Bob Scott
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by Bob Scott »

With a squirrel the tips would be snipped off. In rereading the post I see the comment about "hollow sockets". I'm thinking Chris made a better guess.
New Topic Post Reply