OC's 07 Iris season

Use this forum to discuss all types of Iris.

Moderators: Chris_W, John

oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

OC's 07 Iris season

Post by oldcoot »

:D :D :D No blooms yet but really coming on strong. With 72* days to force them along they are putting on real nice foliage.....Of course O C doesn't know what the 27* night tonight will do to them. But Iris are pretty hardy..

These are some of the "divisions" OC had planted for him last fall after ALL of his Iris were dug up. Planted a row down each side of the sidewalk (Can ride his scooter really easy on that) and he has x 2 LARGE tray of divisions siting on my container rack Too weton the ground to take a look, but from the sun room they look really good.

Enjoy the start of OC 07 Iris Season. Sure hopes to have lots of PETTY Iris to show you later on this spring.

That Old Coot named John in eager anticipation
Attachments
Spring 07 Iris HRZ.jpg
Spring 07 Iris HRZ.jpg (37.58 KiB) Viewed 5422 times
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
oldcoot

A question for those in the know

Post by oldcoot »

:D :D :D this fall OC had a number of Early Iris planted for him. Two mainly Catherine Hodgkins, and Delf Blue. When should be expect to begin seeing them ??? OC anxious for them to BLOOM ...
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
Garden_of_Mu
USDA Zone: 7

Post by Garden_of_Mu »

Hi OC-

I share your anticipation of imminent iris blooms. I have some small reticulatas blooming right now. I'll post a photo later this weekend for you. Your bearded irises are a bit further along than mine, but we've only hit 62* here so far.

'Delft Blue' is a dutch iris and will probably bloom with your late SDBs or early Tall Beardeds. I can't find any information on an iris called 'Katerine Hodgkins'. Is it bulbous as well?
~ Mike

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t
matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Theodore Geisel, aka Dr.
Seuss
oldcoot

Yes they were

Post by oldcoot »

so they could be "Dutch" too. If so, OC planted them in the wrong place. Now they are getting full sunshine, but by the time Dutch Iris bloom, they will be in too much shade. Just have to wait and see. If they are, OC will move this fall (if OC can find any help)
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

While I am not a huge Iris fan, there are a few I find vey pretty. But I never felt I encorpoarated them well into a mixed border. Any suggestions on how to do that?

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Garden_of_Mu
USDA Zone: 7

Post by Garden_of_Mu »

Hi Claudia-

Bearded irises need good ventilation and should be planted with other things that have an open habit that allows air to move thru them. I like columbine, other vertical perennials, and rock garden plants at the front and base. Siberien irises can be used just as you would a grass, as they are going to have the same texture in a border. They appreciate the protection of being crowded and like lots of water (though drought tolerant when established). Irises are pretty tough so don't be afraid to experiment with arrangements.
~ Mike

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t
matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Theodore Geisel, aka Dr.
Seuss
oldcoot

Heat tolerance of Iris and Liliums

Post by oldcoot »

8-) 8-) 8-) is why OC likes them so much. With his extreme heat and humidity, they seem to thrive as long as they are in full sunlight. Haven'y done too well with them in shady spots.

Looks like a bumper crop this year - a whole lot better than last years 10%. OC has NO IDEA how many he DOES have, but finally has some help coming this week-end to clean out his beds. With some one out there, Joy will let him take his scooter and be outside with him, so he will try to count them all. He is curious how many he has too. It does look like the division and the fresh dirt did help them greatly. Seems to be a lot thicker foliage this year.

This picture was made several weeks ago from the side walk.

Come on Iris blooms
Attachments
07 Iris making a move Hrz.jpg
07 Iris making a move Hrz.jpg (57.39 KiB) Viewed 5140 times
oldcoot

Definitely not an Iris

Post by oldcoot »

The Squirrels that infest OC's yard, have played a trick on him. When he went out the other day to take some pictures of the new tulips, he noticed he was missing a few. Figured they had dug them up and eaten them. But it looks like they dug some up and replanted them. OC DEFINITELY did NOT plant this Tulip in the front row of his new Iris bed....

OC saying......Thank you Mr. Roscoe, for re-planting the Good Lord's Tulip rather than eating it......
Attachments
Not an Iris -Framed -hrz (2).jpg
Not an Iris -Framed -hrz (2).jpg (45.55 KiB) Viewed 5127 times
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

I love Iris! There are sooo many :)
Great pics OC! Can't wait to see how they look when they are all bloomed.
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
oldcoot

OC has a quesion about Iris Foliage

Post by oldcoot »

Last fall, when OC had all his Iris lifted, divided and replanted, he tilled the ground, and put 4" of new dirt on top. It was Compost, Topsoil, Sand and dried Cow Manure. His Iris are really coming on strong. But in every bed where he put the new dirt, it seems that the middle leaf is wider and thicker than the others. Is that because of the new dirt ?? The reason OC is asking is because some one on another Iris group asked the same question today......Said they thought it was because of the weird weather....

OC just asking
Attachments
Wide Iris and Gladiolus.jpg
Iris wide folliage HRZ.jpg
Iris wide folliage HRZ.jpg (35.47 KiB) Viewed 5117 times
AnjaP

Post by AnjaP »

Mr. OC, your pictures are beautiful.
Greetings from Germany
Anja
oldcoot

Thanks Anja

Post by oldcoot »

No Mr needed just plain ole John or OC. He will answer to either.....How's the weather over there ? Here we are in he 80's (S.C.) most days with bright sun, depending on how the clouds pass by.

Thanks for commenting. - just wait until you see them bloom.......OC
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

OC, thanks for the post and seeing where yours are at. I went and checked on ours yesterday, soon we should have some early bloomers! :wink:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
AnjaP

Post by AnjaP »

OC, our weather here in the south-west of Germany (near Stuttgart) is 15 degrees Celsius today ( Sorry, I do not know how much Fahrenheit this is). Next week we will have a lot of sunshine and I expect my first MDB and SDB blooms in about two to three weeks. I can already feel the buds when I touch the middle fan of my irises. It is so exciting. We have had the mildest winter for decades.
Anja
oldcoot

Pretty Dutch Iris

Post by oldcoot »

:D :D :D :D Yesterday OC has his first Iris bloom, a beautiful multicolored Dutch.

Please enjoy................OC
Attachments
s firs Iris - 07.jpg
kHT

Post by kHT »

Pretty Coot!! I was hoping to send one of ours to brighten your day but we have just seen the purple bud and it's not open just yet! Congrats for the colorful bloom!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
kHT

Post by kHT »

Our First!!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
AnjaP

Post by AnjaP »

OC and karma happy toes,
your pictures are gorgeous and beautiful. Please keep the pictures coming. I am sorry, I am too stupid to post a picture to a forum. I do not know how to make my pictures smaller, they are too large for a forum. And I do not have a website to save the pictures.
Yesterday my first iris blooms opened - a blue and a white MDB.
I wish you all a happy Easter monday and I hope you do not mind my grammar mistakes in English.
Greetings from Germany
Anja
kHT

Post by kHT »

AnjaP, there are several of us that can down size your photos, just ask.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
AnjaP

Post by AnjaP »

Thank you, happy karma toes, please tell me how I can do this?
Anja
New Topic Post Reply