OC's 07 Iris season

Use this forum to discuss all types of Iris.

Moderators: Chris_W, John

kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

At the bottom of each person's post is a PM button that allow each person to receive a private message here at the forums. At the top of the page you will find a link to where you can pick up such private messages, look for 'You have a new message.' I will send you a private message so you see this and you can sent in your profile to get a notice when you get one, if my memory serves me. Lots stuff here to learn.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
kHT

Post by kHT »

#2 for the Season just opened!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Beautiful Iris folks

Post by oldcoot »

:-? :-? :-? keep posting, because OC won't be. After working his tail off last fall, lifting 200 Iris, dividing them, putting ithem n new dirt he had looked for some real beauties this year. Right before Easter he had 6-8 pods showing that they were right ready to open the next day. That night they got hit by a week of 22* nights with 40 mi/hr winds. My cousin whom I gave most of the extra Divisions I had left to, are already blooming. SO I know the Iris were OK, He lives a three hr. drive south of me. I don't now have nor expect to have another pod this year. I AM hoping that some of them are re blooming Iris and I may get some at the end of the summer. I am NOT going to cut them back as I usually do, just in case......

Keep posting for OC ....whom it looks like won't be. THIS YEAR
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Awwwww, that is so sad, Coot!! I am hoping to see a bunch of blooms from that big batch you sent me.....

Just like they always say......next year... :D
kHT

Post by kHT »

Oh so sad Coot, they might just surprise ya. Keeping those toes cross for warmer weather. Do keep us posted!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
oldcoot

Well Lucy, you better post some pictures !!

Post by oldcoot »

IF the kids do come back next week, after they clean out the dead Hosta leaves, I plan to put out some bone meal and 10-10-10 on all the iris and Liliums. Also hope to spray the Hosta with Miracle Grow and Epsom Salts to see if I can re-generate any new life in them...........Had a 6" rain Thursday, so the kids had no problem planting the Liliums today. Looks like an 8-=83* week-end, so may something will pop......OC HOPEING
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
kHT

Post by kHT »

Coot I have seen Mother Nature bring back those thing we thought were lost. Matter of fact I had one of my favorite brugs not show up last year after I had to cut her back to the soil to make sure I had all the special orders covered. So last fall when it was time to put the brugs away, I ran out of room and had to select what was going to go in and left several outside unprotected. Low and behold my favorite is showing signs of life after being left out in the cold. It sure shocked me! Don't give up on a plant, give it a couple of years, it just might surprise ya.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
oldcoot

The GOod LOrd is so good to OC

Post by oldcoot »

but then you already knew that, didn't you ?? HE is so good to all of us. And this week, HE has especially blessed OC. Some of the Irises that OC had planted for HIM last fall, BLOOMED. Even after the hard freeze. Not many, but enough to bring tears to that Old Coot named John's eyes.

He has made several pictures but is only going to post one a day so they will last longer !!!!

Please enjoy OC's blessing from the Lord.
Attachments
2-tone Iris - OC -07.jpg
2-tone Iris - OC -07.jpg (45.06 KiB) Viewed 2904 times
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

What a beautiful bloom He blessed you with. I'm very happy for you John. :D Thanks for sharing the pic.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
oldcoot

Thanks Pat

Post by oldcoot »

Three or four of them came up together so I don't know if it is a clump or not. These are Iris OC DID NOT get to divide last fall is is sure hoping to move out in the sun where we can see them better this fall.. What really helped them out was that when the freeze took all the leaves off the tress, these got sun all day instead of half a day. Now the leaves are back (thank you Lord) so don't guess there will be any more in this bed. But then, this is just great.

This Iris has been sitting just like this for a week. Don't know if it was the 5 days of rain it got just as it opened, or if it was that unwelcome 40* we had last Monday Morning.

Don't know if it will be Black or Navy. Had some of each in the bed it came from. Either way I will excited to see it.

The photo was made in Macro with my XT and 300 mm lens.

Enjoy. OC sure does.
Attachments
Dark- Iris Pod - Openingv Macro - OC-07.jpg
Dark- Iris Pod - Openingv Macro - OC-07.jpg (32 KiB) Viewed 2899 times
oldcoot

Well since all if OC's Iris should bloomed by now,

Post by oldcoot »

:-? :-? :-? and the leaves starting to dry up, I am going to call the 07 Iris Season closed for OC. If he SHOULD have any re-bloomers this fall, he will a new thread.
oldcoot

Well this post is to say that OC thinks

Post by oldcoot »

his '07 Iris season is now officially over. Because of all the hot dry weather we are having they are all turning browrn like they are going dormant.

The kids finished cleaning out all the new beds Saturday, and this week we will start lifting Iris from the pots , tray and Yard not lifted last fall. The kids will be planting them in the yard for next year in a new place with more Sun because the Old Iris bed was cleaned out to have Liliums planted in it last fall.

Am sure hoping they all bloom pretty next Spring and OC 's Camera is back from repair by then......OC feeling very optimistic today about next year. Keep you Fingers crossed they don't freeze next spring and that we do get some rain this fall.....
New Topic Post Reply