Rescue - Transplant - cut back question!

Use this forum to discuss all types of Iris.

Moderators: Chris_W, John

Arlene

Rescue - Transplant - cut back question!

Post by Arlene »

The cottage next door will be torn down Thursday -- the result of a January 31 middle-of-the-night fire. The owners -- summer people -- have chosen not to dig up their perennials near the house. The builder told me to go ahead and take what I want, because as of Thursday they'll be history . . . So about 60 iris plants made the move today from their garden to mine. I'm hoping for another digging session tomorrow. They'll all be dug again in the spring to move to Tennessee with us -- along with 150+ hostas.

I'm relatively inexperienced with iris -- so have newbie questions. I know I should plant them just below the soil surface and should expect no blooms next year, especially after their double-move. I also assume it would be good to trim the foliage now as well -- maybe to 1/3 of what it is now?

They've been growing in a totally overcrowded situation and have never been watered regularly, because the owners are just here a few times a summer, so I suspect they'll wiggle their toes in my good veggie garden soil and settle in quite happily.

Anyone have any better suggestions for me? Thanks!!
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

LOL they transplant EASY! Yes cut the tops back when you replant them.

I have some growing in a pile under a tree on top of the ground from last year, I forgot they were there :lol:
One even bloomed, felt sorry for them so I had to replant them hehe.
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Garden_of_Mu
USDA Zone: 7

Post by Garden_of_Mu »

Wow that's a great addition to your garden. Can't wait to see what they will be. And yes, everything you're doing is correct. they are super easy to deal with. Just resist the urge to over water them. Deeply once a week until new leaves appear then just let the regular rain take care of them. The reason to cut them back is to keep them from falling over when replanted. Take off dead or dying foliage anytime, but leave as much of the healthy green as possible.

Most bearded irises are from the Mediterranean area and can take alot of summer dry. Too much water when it is really hot will cause them to rot.
~ Mike

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t
matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Theodore Geisel, aka Dr.
Seuss
Arlene

Post by Arlene »

Thanks, Mike and Annie . . . I suspect I have them planted a bit deep for bearded -- I think that's what they are -- but that would just keep them from blooming well, right? I'm not planning on blooms next spring anyway because of moving them again, and I can correct the depth when they get to their permanent home in Tennessee. I think I'll go after another clump today if I can find the energy -- family here for the 4th!

I know one of their clumps is a beautiful light periwinkle color that I've always enjoyed from afar . . . just can't remember which clump it is!
New Topic Post Reply