Japanese Iris - fertilization question

Use this forum to discuss all types of Iris.

Moderators: Chris_W, John

Dee
USDA Zone: 5

Japanese Iris - fertilization question

Post by Dee »

Are Jap. iris heavy feeders? My foliage is kind of puny looking and has been all season. It's been rather odd weather here anyway, but I'm wondering if they need something special? The foliage is kind of yellow-green instead of a nice dark green and I didn't get much bloom at all. They are scattered throughout different gardens, so it isn't just one particular bed.

What's my best plan of action for taking care of these pretty plants? :)
akita

Post by akita »

Yes, Japanese iris are heavy feeders. They prefer a slightly acidic soil, too. For a quick boost you can feed them Miracle Gro for acid loving plants. I have lots of organic matter mixed into my soil including composted manure. I give them lots and lots and lots of water, too!

Hope that helps.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Dee,

The yellow/green condition is usually from the soil being too alkaline, so like Akita mentioned, a shot of fertilizer for acid loving plants should really help.

Japanese iris like soil that is very acidic, something we just don't have here in Cement City, so we really can't grow these at all any more. All of them are short and yellow with no blooms whatsoever :(
Dee
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Dee »

Thanks folks! Why are the prettiest plants always the most difficult ones to grow? I hate having to baby things! :roll: :lol:
Garden_of_Mu
USDA Zone: 7

Post by Garden_of_Mu »

And if you overcome that, keep in mind they have to be moved every 4-5 years (unless they are planted in a spot with lots of water flowing thru the soil). They will poison their own soil and die out. I find it odd people even bother, but then you see them bloom... and wow. No other iris like it.
~ Mike

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t
matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Theodore Geisel, aka Dr.
Seuss
akita

Post by akita »

I am still new at Japanese irises, but so far they don't seem to be that difficult. Yes, you have to move them after 4-5 years, but when I divide any perennial I often move it. If your soil isn't acidic (pH 5.0 - 6.5) there are ammendments that will lower the pH. Here's a link for basic cultural requirements for JIs:

http://www.ensata.com/HTML/GeneralPages/culture.htm
New Topic Post Reply