Iris Compainion Planting

Use this forum to discuss all types of Iris.

Moderators: Chris_W, John

mrtoad
USDA Zone: 7b

Iris Compainion Planting

Post by mrtoad »

I am planning to create an iris bed - probably 26 X 4 feet - what other plants (if any) could be used as companion planting - any suggestion would be helpful
thanks - mr toad
Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday,Sunday - - No Someday
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

I have a majority of our irises planted around rose of sharon that are trimmed upward on the back fence.
I also have a couple lillies that I missed and will have to move them.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
John

Post by John »

Definitely some other perennials to extend the bloom season. In the Iris family though, I'd add some Pardancanda norrisii, the "candy lily", which blooms in July and August here.

I like daylilies with my iris, although others will tell you the daylilies require more water than the iris will tolerate; this is a matter of drainage, and daylilies are tolerant of a range of conditions once established.

One idea I've not tried yet was recommended in an old book about continuous bloom, where the iris are used somewhere in the middle of a mixed perennial border in a strip about one foot wide, thus not leaving too much "green" space when not in bloom, but providing some nice spiky foliage accent.
Garden_of_Mu
USDA Zone: 7

Post by Garden_of_Mu »

I have mine mixed with columbines, lilies, daylilies and scattered annuals. Anything you can tuck between them that doesn't keep moisture against the base or require alot of water is fine. I edge the beds with succulent sedums and semps. I save larger spaces in the beds for dahlias so there's color all summer and fall.
~ Mike

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t
matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Theodore Geisel, aka Dr.
Seuss
New Topic Post Reply