Okay...I have a stupid question.....

Use this forum to discuss all types of Iris.

Moderators: Chris_W, John

newtohosta-no more

Okay...I have a stupid question.....

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Let me start by saying that I never had irises until I bought a couple at the August Hallson get-together last year, so my knowledge of them and what to expect for the first year is slim to none. :oops:
I planted "Immortality" and "Before the Storm" and I have nice fans, but no blooms? Can I expect to get blooms this year or is something wrong? Did I plant them too deep or too shallow and now they won't bloom? Help!!!! :lol:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
laurief

Post by laurief »

It is quite common for irises to take a year or two (or sometimes longer) to settle into a new garden spot before resuming their bloom cycle, so you may not get any bloom from them this year. Then again, you might. Irises are nothing if not unpredictable.

Bearded irises should be planted so that the tops of the rhizomes are level with or slightly below the soil surface. If they are buried too deeply, they will produce foliage but no bloom. If the tops of your rzs are visible at the soil surface, they're fine.

Patience, dear gardener.

Laurie
USDA zone 3b, AHS zone 4 - northern Minnesota
normal annual precipitation 26-27"
slightly alkaline, potassium deficient, clay soil
newtohosta-no more

Thank you , Laurie, for the info! I'll have to go outside and check on how they appear to be planted once the rain stops and the ground dries out a bit. The fans look healthy enough, but I was stumped about the blooms not being there. And I certainly can be patient when I need to be! :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Joan,

In addition to needing a little time to settle in, the tall bearded Iris bloom later than the dwarfs and intermediate Iris. So it may just be too early for blooms yet. ;)
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

My iris are being strange this year too. All my bearded ones are in full bloom, but the Siberians are just barely setting buds. Very backwards I think!

I will try to post a post a few photos in the next days.... it is poring buckets right now!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Garden_of_Mu
USDA Zone: 7

Post by Garden_of_Mu »

Both Immortality and Before The Storm are very late season bloomers anyway, so may be even delayed by that too, but both have also needed to settle in well in my garden for a few seasons before they would bloom for me. Especially Imm., which likes to be undisturbed for as long as possible before showing off. Both are well worth the wait.
~ Mike

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t
matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Theodore Geisel, aka Dr.
Seuss
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Well Mike that is usually correct but I hate to say it, our Immortality opened last night and Before the Storm is probably going to open before Sunday. Our first Japanese opened but all the others are just setting buds. I agree, it's a really strange year. Monday we had sweats on with the heater going today it's 91 and we find any reason to turn the water one to get wet. :wink:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
newtohosta-no more

Thanks to all of you for the advice and information. Looks like I will just give them time since they may yet bloom this year. But if not.....that's okay. I can wait until they are completely settled and happy in their new home and see the blooms next year if need be. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Garden_of_Mu
USDA Zone: 7

Post by Garden_of_Mu »

Karma- You have japanese iris blooming already?! That is weird considering we are barely into IB season here. I won't see any japanese varieties for at least anotehr month. They won't show up until the bearded are almost gone. I wouldn't have a difference in season when we're so close geographically.
~ Mike

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t
matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Theodore Geisel, aka Dr.
Seuss
kHT

Post by kHT »

Mike, it was in the greenhouse area, sorry. I had to protect this one but with the 96 degrees well it melted. :cry:

newtohosta-no more, I'll share my bloomers with you!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
newtohosta-no more

Awwww....thanks, Karma! You have some terrific looking bloomers there! :lol:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

kHT

Post by kHT »

newtohosta-no more, I was told last night to check the photos as DS thought I was loosing my mind!! Sure enough I checked the tags and back photos, this is I. Hello
Darkness not I. Before the Storm. That black one is in the middle of the rebloomers and no sign of it yet. Sorry! It does pay to tag and not to rely on one's memory! :oops:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
New Topic Post Reply