Is It a Keep or Cull???

Use this forum to discuss all types of Iris.

Moderators: Chris_W, John

laurief

Post by laurief »

I agree with everything Mike said in his response. As far as commercial popularity is concerned, your seedling could not compete with modern iris introductions. But if you are growing it solely for your own enjoyment, then by all means keep it. At the very least, it may provide you with an evolutionary starting point for your iris breeding pursuits. As you watch how that particular seedling changes as it matures (and it may look very different if you keep it to bloom again next year), you'll learn how to anticipate changes in other seedlings, as well. If you keep this seedling long term, I suspect that in another 10 yrs you'll wonder whatever possessed you to hold onto it in the first place. :-)

I expect that all hybridizers have had and continue to have seedlings that look remarkably similar to yours in their seedling beds, and I expect that the vast majority of them are culled as soon as they open (or don't open, as the case may be). As Mike suggested, when you run out of room in your seedling bed, you'll become much more discriminating about the quality of your "keepers", and a seedling like the one on this thread simply won't make the cut.

But for now, enjoy it and learn from it for as long as you want to keep it in your garden.

Laurie
USDA zone 3b, AHS zone 4 - northern Minnesota
normal annual precipitation 26-27"
slightly alkaline, potassium deficient, clay soil
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Thank you John, Mike and Laurief, I totally agree with you all! I have not run out of room due to I have learned to cull these past few years. It's very important. I have also learned that one doesn't judge by the first bloom and when you put your name on a plant it should be for the very best of the best. Not to rush the process, as it's your name and those that rush the first year to name everything really don't care. I agree this should be culled by the first look at this bloom, I have a rule here . . . they get two years to grow and then we do so. The Brugs get 5 years and that is it. I can always put this in the hosta garden as I hear I have to much room out there? :wink:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
John

Post by John »

Whew!

Not like some people, who would name a seed!

I had one daylily seedling that was so incredibly gorgeous, its first year. Every year since, it has been a pale copy of itself, as if the printer is running out of toner...

We must be brave...
kHT

Post by kHT »

:eek: :lol: :lol: :eek: (((John)))
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
kHT

Post by kHT »

Bring this back up to the top now that bloom 2 and 3 have just opened this even. Now what do you think??
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
laurief

Post by laurief »

Definitely a whole lot prettier than that first pathetic, deformed flower, but still too plain a Jane to be worth keeping for anything other than your own enjoyment.

Laurie
USDA zone 3b, AHS zone 4 - northern Minnesota
normal annual precipitation 26-27"
slightly alkaline, potassium deficient, clay soil
John

Post by John »

Like Laurie said...
DaLoveRat
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by DaLoveRat »

Last edited by DaLoveRat on Jun 01, 2008 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
kHT

Post by kHT »

Thank you all, I have been out voted by the guys! It's a family thing here and I voted to cull. I agree on everything that was stated and scream about how fast some folks rush to name things with them not being tested or judged by more blooms than the first. I'm still sitting on my first Brugmansia cross and got kicked in the teeth on the Datmansia cross so I really understand the process! I just love playing and need to buy stock in the Q-tip company!
You guys are always a big help!! :cool: To see the bloomer of the Brugmansia cross, just look at my profile photo.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
cricket

Post by cricket »

Well not that I know much about iris but I think it is beautiful! I do know they are one of my fav flowers ever and I just had to move about 500 or more iris from my old home to the new place. Had to leave them behind when I moved about 2 years ago. I had no choice but move them now as this was the only time I had, so I hope they will do ok.

Anyway, I just thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth about yours being very beautiful!

Cricket
Loïc Tasquier

Post by Loïc Tasquier »

The picture you posted is very good, and i think the pol parent must be Giant Rose, 1959 from Schreiner.

I'm new here, glad to be on board!
Loïc TASQUIER
who, like Betty Wilkerson, could die (or, maybe...kill...?) for a repeat, cycle & everblooming / continuous / non-daylight dependant rebloomer!
zone 7 - Nederland
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Welcome to Hallson's!! :P
kHT

Post by kHT »

Thank you and I'll have to look that one up. Also welcome.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
otnorot

Iris

Post by otnorot »

What makes a good tall bearded iris? The less haft marks the better (those white lines at the top of the falls)if you look at todays hybrids you will see that there are very few or none showing plus an iris thsat blooms like this.
Attachments
tmpphpS45xrD.jpg
Old but still learning
AnjaP

Post by AnjaP »

That is beautiful
New Topic Post Reply